OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Another botched approach.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
bobsk8
Post subject: Another botched approach.
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:40 am

This is really starting to get old. I don't report all the approaches that wind up with me just having to bail out of ATC and fly the approach by myself, but this flight today is typical of the kind of ATC I frequently get. I approach the destination airport at an angle where a simple vector would get me on a suitable final approach to the runway. I am on approach control and hear no instructions as I get closer and closer to the arrival airport. Now I overfly the arrival airport with no instructions from ATC at all. While this is going on I am repeatedly contacting approach prior to arriving at the airport, telling approach my position, hoping to get some kind of direction to landing, and all I get is an acknowledgement of my position. Now I fly past the arrival airport and keep flying for many miles, and now I keep asking for a pilot's discretion to landing, which is totally ignored by ATC. So I am on my own at this point, do I keep flying for maybe another 20 miles. or 50 more miles, or forever? A this point, I just turn towards the runway which by this time is over 14 miles away at least, and fly an approach to the active runway and land. I fly for a Virtual airline and can't fly a 100 mile point to point flight and have another 60+ miles for the approach, because ATC won't tell me what to do.

Why does this keep happening? I have posted similar problems for months, and it keeps occurring, flight after flight.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(265.55 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Another botched approach.
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 am
Site Admin

The reason why this flight went wrong for you (I'm assuming the previous ones too) is because you failed to contact Approach when instructed to do so. You rogered the instruction but that was it, you never made initial contact.
3/2/2017 7:50:16 PM: 130 - Transcript: 'Trans World 819 Contact Approach on 123.5
3/2/2017 7:50:22 PM: 470 - Transcript: '123.5 Trans World 819
You changed to the correct frequency but never used Hotkey #0

Eight minutes later you requested a position report
3/2/2017 7:58:23 PM: 520 - Transcript: 'Approach Trans World 819 Position Report......
My guess is when you requested this position report you should have received some kind of reprimand (gentle of otherwise :) ) for not following correct procedures. So, whilst I would be the first to admit PF3 should, somehow, remind you to contact Approach but then you didn't do what it asked you to! In the meantime all I can suggest is you follow the correct procedures and your flight should continue as expected.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:53 am
The reason why this flight went wrong for you (I'm assuming the previous ones too) is because you failed to contact Approach when instructed to do so. You rogered the instruction but that was it, you never made initial contact.
3/2/2017 7:50:16 PM: 130 - Transcript: 'Trans World 819 Contact Approach on 123.5
3/2/2017 7:50:22 PM: 470 - Transcript: '123.5 Trans World 819
You changed to the correct frequency but never used Hotkey #0

Eight minutes later you requested a position report
3/2/2017 7:58:23 PM: 520 - Transcript: 'Approach Trans World 819 Position Report......
My guess is when you requested this position report you should have received some kind of reprimand (gentle of otherwise :) ) for not following correct procedures. So, whilst I would be the first to admit PF3 should, somehow, remind you to contact Approach but then you didn't do what it asked you to! In the meantime all I can suggest is you follow the correct procedures and your flight should continue as expected.
OK, I may have slipped up on this. I will refly this flight and see what happens.

Thanks,

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Don't forget you can use the co-pilot option to handle all comms for you.

Peter

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Flew it again, and this time ATC was perfect. I let the co pilot switch frequencies, and I do the rest. Must have missed contacting approach last time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:29 pm

bobsk8 wrote: *  Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm
Flew it again, and this time ATC was perfect. I let the co pilot switch frequencies, and I do the rest. Must have missed contacting approach last time.
I let her handle the comms all the time.
[ attachment ]
po.png (27.4 KiB) Viewed 2710 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:38 pm
Site Admin

vololiberista wrote: *  Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:29 pm
I let her handle the comms all the time.po.png
As long as that's all you let her handle you may stay married! :lol:

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:33 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:38 pm
vololiberista wrote: *  Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:29 pm
I let her handle the comms all the time.po.png
As long as that's all you let her handle you may stay married! :lol:
It's not called a "joystick" for nothing. :lol:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: