OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Radar service terminated...

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
bobsk8
Post subject: Radar service terminated...
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:03 am

A couple of times now I am approaching and uncontrolled airport, and approach tells me, cleared for the approach, "radar service terminated squawk 1200." So I switch my transponder to 1200, and then ATC comes back and tells me to set in my previous squawk code for my IFR flight.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Radar service terminated...
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:28 am

Did you roger/readback these instructions?

Please attach logs so we can investigate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:25 pm

ThomasAH wrote:
Did you roger/readback these instructions?

Please attach logs so we can investigate.

I may have possibly forgot to roger, since I was switching Transponder codes. Anyway, here is log file.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(301.9 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:45 pm
Site Admin

bobsk8 wrote:
A couple of times now I am approaching and uncontrolled airport, and approach tells me, cleared for the approach, "radar service terminated squawk 1200." So I switch my transponder to 1200, and then ATC comes back and tells me to set in my previous squawk code for my IFR flight.
Your destination airport was uncontrolled, hence then intruction. :)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:47 pm

dmarch wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:
Hi, I realized that, why I was confused was the instruction to squawk 1200 when radar service was terminated, I set 1200, and then was told to change back to the previous IFR squawk I had been using for the entire flight up to that point.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Site Admin

bobsk8 wrote:
dmarch wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:
Hi, I realized that, why I was confused was the instruction to squawk 1200 when radar service was terminated, I set 1200, and then was told to change back to the previous IFR squawk I had been using for the entire flight up to that point.
Ah right, sorry, I'll take another looksee... perhaps you've uncovered a bug... I mean a challenge! ;)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Ok, this morning I ran the exact same flight again to see if I had missed doing something yesterday, using the same flightplan I did yesterday. This time the results were totally different:

1. My flight plan altitude was set at 10,000 ft. After activating FP with Flight service, I took off and checked in with departure, and departure cleared me to 7,000 ft. I flew for many miles and finally was told to resume my own navigation and was never told to climb any higher than the preciously assigned 7,000 ft. I asked for 8,000 ft for terrain clearance, and was given the OK. No more altitude instructions until time for descent.

2. Approaching KAVX, this time I was given a vector to the airport from about 25 miles away and no further vector instruction at all. I was cleared to a lower altitude, I believe 4,000 ft. I over flew the airport, and kept going for over 16 miles past the airport, on the same vector I had been assigned over 40 miles ago. I was never given a VFR squawk or radar service terminated this time. At 18 miles past the airport I asked for vectors to the approach, and was told " Not at this time". I finally asked for clearance to final at pilots discretion at almost 19 miles from the runway, and used GPS to get back to airport and land.

Now to make sure, I am not making a mistake, when I have a cruise altitude in the FP, is it ATC's job to clear me to that altitude, or am I supposed to do that on my own, after I am given the instruction to " resume my own navigation?

When told to over fly a runway with a vector, at an uncontrolled field, am I supposed to get further vectors for the approach to the assigned runway, or is that something I am supposed to do on Unicomm, on my own, with no instruction to do this from ATC, once I have a visual on the airport.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(372.45 KiB) Downloaded 137 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:32 pm

dmarch wrote:
bobsk8 wrote:
Ah right, sorry, I'll take another looksee... perhaps you've uncovered a bug... I mean a challenge! ;)
You were using VCP mode 1, so your VCP did the readback, but it seems only partially. HotKey #10 is Roger/Readback:
9/7/2016 7:26:48 PM: 340 - Transcript: 'Cessna Hotel India Hotel Cleared to final for runway 22 Radar service terminated. Squawk 1200, change to advisory frequency approved on 132.5  '
9/7/2016 7:27:01 PM: 040 - Transcript: 'Out of 9 thousand until established on final for runway 22  Hotel India Hotel  '
9/7/2016 7:27:10 PM: 520 - Transcript: 'Cessna Hotel India Hotel Reduce speed to 100  '
9/7/2016 7:27:16 PM: 730 - ****** HotKey #10 detected!
9/7/2016 7:27:16 PM: 810 - Transcript: 'speed 100 Hotel India Hotel  '
9/7/2016 7:27:51 PM: 120 - Transcript: 'Cessna Hotel India Hotel Check your transponder. Squawk 6734  '
9/7/2016 7:28:06 PM: 520 - Transcript: 'Cessna Hotel India Hotel Check your transponder. Squawk 6734  '
9/7/2016 7:28:24 PM: 450 - ****** HotKey #10 detected!
9/7/2016 7:28:24 PM: 520 - Transcript: '6734 Hotel India Hotel  '
So it looks like a programming opportunity for Dave :)

Regarding the your second report: Please open a new thread for this. Discussing two topics in one thread often leads to confusion.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: