OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Small prop a/c given heavy jet approach vectors

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
garethw
Post subject: Small prop a/c given heavy jet approach vectors
Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi all,

I have been learning the PFE 'ropes' on a short sample flight EGHH to EGLC (Bournemouth to London City) in the Piper Cheyenne turbo prop. 30 miles out (FAF, 5000') I keep getting vectored way south-east in a huge approach pattern as if I were flying a B747 or Starship Enterprise... ;) I told PFE I was in the Cheyenne at setup stage thinking it would automatically give me a reasonably tight appraoch course to finals. Is there some other setting I am missing in set-up? Also, during the flight I was assigned 'Flight Levels' 60 and 70, whereas ATC was giving me QNH.

This evening I got fed up with the sight of Southend and managed to get the clearance to land 'at my discretion'. Even then the GS axis of the ILS was all over the place but this may well not be a PFE issue. I think PFE likes you to intercept the GS precisely (and why not, I hear you ask).

I can see the huge fascination and potential of this programme but admit to some frustration at this point (BTW I have put FDC on the back-burner til I master PFE)

Any clues from you veteran PFE-ers?

Cheers,

Gareth
SPAIN 8-)

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Small prop a/c given heavy jet approach vectors
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am
Site Admin

Gareth,

First thing to ask is are you running the latest version of PFE (2.11.1) ?

Approach vectoring is an item very close to the front burners in our list of things to look at and we may well decide to include some configurable choices for you. You can of course go into ProFlight 'settings' and adjust the default FAF distance from 7 to something lower. PFE does actually add a safety margin to this anyway (around 50% if my memory serves me right). I can't garuantee how well this would work as it's not something we have messed with that much. I know one of my testers did at one time but he was using a slightly larger/faster aircraft than what you're using. Anyway, worth a try and we would of course be very interested.

With regard the flight levels and being given QNH, please email me the debug_monitor.log file from your PFE\Logs folder next time that happens.

The ILS GS has absolutely nothing at all to do with PFE.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
garethw
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes sir, as per your published support policy I'm using 2.11.1.

Since my post of yesterday I went and enjoyed a 'perfect' flight this morning in the CS B767 EGHH to EHAM with spot-on vectoring, right down to a pretty much a tear-drop pattern back onto the reciprocal runway to my direction of flight (18R). Very impressive! I knew in advance that the final waypoint in the FMC was at FL260 - from which PFE did a sterling job of descending me to Fl16, Fl9, 4000' and finally 3000' for the ILS intercept. More than I was expecting I have to say.

And to put the icing on the cake, on final I received an unexpected traffic alert and lo, in my rear-view mirror (OK, outside spot view) there was a 744 right up my chuff, and as it turned out, another behind him. Good grief, ATC had slotted me in to a 'string-of-pearls'! This, for me at least, was about as good a moment as I have enjoyed in FSX so far. High praises for PFE and also to REX, GEX and UT2.

As for the Cheyenne flight it dawned on me that as with most things 'flightsim', so much of the fun is in 'getting it all together' and I shall be re-trying the flight (and similar types of low-alt IFR flights) with different planners and more tweaking of waypoints and altitudes until I understand just what is PFE's 'sweet-spot' (in its current version).

Re the baro calls I'll be glad to ping you my Flight Log as and when.

Hey, thanks for PFE Dave. Its obviously a labour of love and I can see clearly it's just going to get better and better. My questions (to myself) is: how come I took so long to find it?

Cheers,

Gareth

Profile Quote
Ray Lunning
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

I modify all my Flight Plans so that I get smoother transitions to the ILS...
For me, my choice is to pre-set the wind direction so that I will get the intended runway for the Flight Plan I am using...

If you are using "real weather" then the above does not apply...

I will use two flight plans for KJFK to KPHL..One for runway 27 L & R and one for 9 L & R...

In each flight plan I include waypoints which will position the aircraft for a less then 90 deg intercept... I have been very successful with this procedure... I use standard Jeppessen Charts and Approach Plates to navigate to the IAF...

Note: I do not use FMCs or STARS.. STARS usually terminate in final vectors anyway....

I also cheate !!... I have modified my "Buffer Waypoints" to allow me to add additional waypoints to get me closer to the airport/ILS...It works very well for me...

This is not recommended by me as this would have to come from DAVE...

Disclaimer... I am just passing on what seems to work for me....I usually get very smooth transitions to the ILS with a minimum of vectoring...

Flight Plans are very important to a good flight...!!.

Ray Lunning
PFE and FDC beta tester

Profile Quote
garethw
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:13 pm

Ray,

Thanks for those practical suggestions. (I have enjoyed some of your other helpful posts.)

I must say I prefer the surprise factor (as in life) but 'at what price' I suppose.

Thanks again,

Gareth

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: