OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

incorrect Multicom frequency

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
René333
Post subject: incorrect Multicom frequency
Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

I have been searching the forum but cannot find a solution for my problem.

PFE is a great programm. But I have a problem:

The multicom frequency in PFE does not equal the frequency in FSX (even not in case of a default FSX airfield). For example the multicom frequency of EHLE in FSX is 123.675 and EHHO is 127.35. PFE however works with 122.90 for multicom. The same happens with the FSS frequency. This is a bit disappointing because I like to fly with AI General Aviation at smaller airports.

I did rebuild the PFE database, ran MakeRwys.exe from the FSX folder, started the PFE Database Refres Process (bij opening the runways.csv). I also deleted the f5, t5, r5, r4, g5, runways csv files before starting the database rebuilding proces. I changed my regional windows setting to UK. After running the rebuilding proces I can see the correct (earlier mentioned csv files, with all having the same date and time). Looking in the f5.csv file (via Excel or note path) I can see that EHLE has the correct frequency for multicom: 123.675 and FSS. These are the relevant lines in the f5.csv file:

EHLE,0,0,"Lelystad"
EHLE,2,123.67,"LELYSTAD"
EHLE,11,123.67,"LELYSTAD"

As you can see the correct frequencies which equal the frequencies in FSX are in the f5.csv file. But PFE only works with 122.90 for multicom and 122.20 for FSS. The AI call in on 123.67 so I cannot hear the chatter of AI when in multicom.

How can I solve this problem?

Kind regards,

René

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: incorrect Multicom frequency
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 am
Site Admin

Quote:
I cannot hear the chatter of AI when in multicom.
That would only happen if you are trying to listen to AI chatter via FSX ATX at the same time as using PFE, which is not really how it was intended to work.

Having said that the frequencies used should be the same. The file you need to look in is PFE_FSX_Freq.dat in the PFE\Data folders.

Have you rebuilt the PFE database?

Did it complete correctly? (see other posts with regard to problems when rebuilding the database )

If you're confident you have completed a rebuild please load the problem flight again (connect to FSX), make initial contact with a control facility then send me the debug_monitor.log from PFE\Logs and the freq_conversion.dat file from PFE\Data

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JET 1
Posted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:38 pm

dmarch wrote:
Quote:
I cannot hear the chatter of AI when in multicom.
That would only happen if you are trying to listen to AI chatter via FSX ATX at the same time as using PFE, which is not really how it was intended to work.
Maybe he meant he does not hear any PFE AI chatter because of this. I don't even know if that's coded in.. been flying quite a few VFR flights in Alaska with PFE, and never heard any VFR chatter even though there are GA planes flying around.

Profile Quote
René333
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 am

Dave,

Your reply made me aware of the freq conversion.dat file from PFE\Data. I have found out that it is generated after selecting/loading a ADV file in PFE. Sometimes the content of the file is: "Error processing frequencies for XXX" and sometimes it successfully converts the frequencies correctly (for example: "EHLE - FSS: Orig: 122.2 New: 123.67"). Unfortunately mostly I got the error message and in that case the frequency is incorrect. So the problem is in the frequency conversion process that seems to be very unstable (in my system).

I have tried to find out what makes the conversion successful or unsuccessful. After a couple of days of changing the regional settings in Windows, database rebuilding, restarting, disconnecting, compiling, and other trials and errors I concluded that the procedure below will always results in a successful conversion.

1st Step: the normal procedure: make flightplan (FP) in FSX, convert the FSX FP to FP2000 in PFE, compile the converted FP to an ADV file in PF2000, select/load the ADV in PFE
2nd Step: check the content in the freq conversion.dat file from PFE\Data.
3rd Step: If content = "Error processing frequencies for XXX" do connect PFE with FSX nevertheless (if content is like e.g. “EHLE - FSS: Orig: 122.2 New: 123.67” you are lucky and just fly)
4th Step: shortly after connecting do disconnect PFE from FSX (don’t disconnect if you didn’t get the error message like "Error processing frequencies for XXX"
Result: a successful conversion of frequencies and the frequencies in PFE will equal FSX.

With this procedure I have found a certain way to get the correct frequencies in PFE and it seems that my problem has been solved now. But maybe Dave still would like to receive additional information to cope this issue. Please let me know Dave if you need anything from me to improve the product.

Having closed this issue I would like to refer to my main purpose. I want to hear the AI traffic talking when connected with the Multicom frequency at uncontrolled airfields (like in real World). If connected with Clearance, Ground, Tower, Departure or Approach I do always hear the AI traffic communicating with ATC and the other way around. However I don’t hear AI traffic talking when in Multicom and maybe I have to change settings to be able to hear AI traffic in Multicom. So I will try to look into this issue (by do some testing, trails and errors again) and get back in the forum under an separate topic if necessary.

Thanks for all,

René

Profile Quote
JET 1
Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:44 pm

René333 wrote:
Having closed this issue I would like to refer to my main purpose. I want to hear the AI traffic talking when connected with the Multicom frequency at uncontrolled airfields (like in real World). If connected with Clearance, Ground, Tower, Departure or Approach I do always hear the AI traffic communicating with ATC and the other way around. However I don’t hear AI traffic talking when in Multicom and maybe I have to change settings to be able to hear AI traffic in Multicom. So I will try to look into this issue (by do some testing, trails and errors again) and get back in the forum under an separate topic if necessary.
Just to add to my previous post, I've never heard anything on unicom or multicom frequencies either, so perhaps it's just not coded in. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't Dave once say that the VFR part is really untouched since Proflight 2000...

Profile Quote
René333
Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:24 am

I am affraid that Jet 1 is correct. But PFE is still a great programm for me. I hope in near future updates VFR opportunities will be improved.

Profile Quote
schroewo
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Will bring up this topic again. Is there any chance that Multicom will work without the workaround above? I ask because I've finished another 2 tours, which are VFR tours, the European Sightseeing Tour (http://www.cpp-tutor.de/downloads/EurSightseeing.zip ) and the North American Sightseeing Tour (http://www.cpp-tutor.de/downloads/NASightseeing.zip). At the moment there are no Adv files due to the frequency issues.

Kind regards
Wolfgang

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 pm
Site Admin

Hi Wolfgang,

Hopefully by the next release, yes.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PFE Support”
Jump to: