OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATIS No Ceiling, Clearance doesn't give expected runway

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
geoffda
Post subject: ATIS No Ceiling, Clearance doesn't give expected runway
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 pm

I just bought PF3 and I think it is great, but I had a couple of questions/issues which I couldn't find addressed after searching.

I am using PF3 with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. My flight today is from KDEN to KPHX (Denver, CO to Phoenix, AZ, USA), using live weather. The ATIS for KDEN reported sky conditions as overcast, but never gave me the ceiling altitude. I would have expected something in line with the actual METAR: FEW016 BKN040 OVC05. That would yield something like, "Sky conditions: few clouds at one thousand six hundred, broken at four thousand, overcast at five thousand."

The other thing I noticed was that clearance delivery did not include the active runway in my clearance. I haven't flown in years, but IIRC a departure runway was usually included in an IFR clearance--particularly when a SID was involved. My Simbrief flight plan was for RWY35L, but my taxi clearance was for RWY34L, which was on the opposite side of the airport. It would have been nice get the expected departure runway from clearance delivery so I could have oriented correctly during pushback.

Anyway, just curious if these are known issues and/or if there are any workarounds.

Thanks,

Geoff

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: ATIS No Ceiling, Clearance doesn't give expected runway
Posted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:54 pm
Site Admin

geoffda wrote: *  Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:28 pm
I am using PF3 with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. My flight today is from KDEN to KPHX (Denver, CO to Phoenix, AZ, USA), using live weather. The ATIS for KDEN reported sky conditions as overcast, but never gave me the ceiling altitude. I would have expected something in line with the actual METAR: FEW016 BKN040 OVC05. That would yield something like, "Sky conditions: few clouds at one thousand six hundred, broken at four thousand, overcast at five thousand."
The weather info available to us in FS2020 right now is very limited. The usual FS weather interface has been deprecated by Asobo (see the Known Issues using PF3 with MSFS document in your PF3\Help folder). So until such time as that is fixed we have to make do with what we have I'm afraid.
Quote:
The other thing I noticed was that clearance delivery did not include the active runway in my clearance.

Not something we've ever included nor been raised as an issue. You can obviously gain that info from ATIS.
Quote:
My Simbrief flight plan was for RWY35L, but my taxi clearance was for RWY34L, which was on the opposite side of the airport. It would have been nice get the expected departure runway from clearance delivery so I could have oriented correctly during pushback.
You can always request another runway by using the Ctrl+Shift+W hotkey once a runway has been assigned.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
geoffda
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:38 am

Thanks Dave,
Yeah, I was misremembering. Clearance delivery doesn't usually give out the runway. It is unfortunate that ATIS is usually unreliable in FS2020 at the moment. Today at KDEN, ATIS was saying that the active runway was 17L, so I set up for that, but ground sent me to 25 instead. Not PF3's fault...

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 am
Site Admin

Are you using PF3's ATIS, far better to use that rather than the FS ATIS especially whilst the FS system is so unreliable, although I would recommend you always do.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
geoffda
Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:21 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 am
Are you using PF3's ATIS, far better to use that rather than the FS ATIS especially whilst the FS system is so unreliable, although I would recommend you always do.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk
Yes, I always use PF3's ATIS.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: