OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Sid/ Stars

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
ridgeandgable
Post subject: Sid/ Stars
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:08 pm

Hi guys

Still trying to get used to PF3 after using Voxatc for many years,

I've set a flight plan, EGPH to EGPF, I've loaded it into PF3 and clicked on Adjust

Here I have

EGPH
UW
TLA32
TLA33
TLA38
GRICE ------ I have set this as my End of SID / DP (IS THAT CORRECT)?
EGPF

So If I follow my FMC, I would select arrival, Runway 5 and use GRICE? Then PF3 would vector me down to runway 5?

Or do I not touch the Adjust Flight plan and just follow my FMC route until PF3 tells me to desend etc for my approach?

Still trying to get my head around things. I've tried reading the manual, but I'm one of those guys who reads it but it doesn't sink in, hands on is best for me :D

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Sid/ Stars
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:11 pm

This is a very short flight of about 30 miles which makes things a bit difficult, and some of the waypoints are very close together. I don't recommend ending your SID at the last waypoint of the flight plan, so I would probably end the SID at TLA33 or TLA38. After takeoff you will not get an initial heading or vectors because you are flying a SID. When you reach the last waypoint (GRICE), PF3 will tell you to expect vectors to the active runway (determined by wind direction, or AI activity, if AI are active at the destination airport at the time). It may be easier to try a longer flight that actually has an enroute segment and then the options for the departure and arrival phases may be clearer.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi Dan

Thanks for that, Was just a short flight to test everything out, I usually fly EGPH to EHAM but I'm in my kitchen at the moment on old FSX system so I installed the demo. Big flight cockpit is out in the office but can't escape the wife and kids during day light hours :D

If I didn't adjust flight plan and just left it as it was would it have a huge impact on ATC instructions? I mean, would I just get vectored to the runway, If I just followed what was on my FMC?

Sorry, I'm trying my best to learn this as I go but appreciate any time you give

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:04 pm

I tried again using my normal flight EGPH to EHAM

EGPH
UW
D242H
D345T
D345M
TLA <---- Set this and all before to 6000ft as is in chart?
HAVEN
IPSAD
OTBUN
AGPED
NATEB
XXX
ROKAN
TOPPA <---- Set this for End of Sid?
MONIL
ROBVI
SUGOL <---- Looked at Chart and changed the Alt to 7000 in PF3
EHAM

Is that all I would need to do?

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:00 pm

This is what I would suggest, and how I would set it up. You can experiment and see what works well for you. Your SID waypoints assume you will be departing EGPH to the south (runway 24), which may not be the case due to wind direction. For the PF3 flight plan I would have TLA as the first waypoint, because it is the first waypoint common to both SIDs so you will cross it regardless which way you depart (06 or 24). You can choose to end the SID at TLA or HAVEN. The waypoints before TLA you will load into your FMC, depending on which runway you depart, but they are not part of the PF3 flight plan. Let your FMC fly you to TLA. You will not be vectored because this is considered part of your SID.

At the last waypoint (SUGOL) PF3 will tell you to expect vectors to the active runway. Important note: If you change the altitude at SUGOL on the adjust page, you may also need to adjust the altitudes of the nearby waypoints so you have a reasonable descent profile. PF3 does not automatically do this, so if you change something be sure the nearby altitudes make sense. Hover your cursor over the waypoint names to see the distances between the waypoints, and adjust the altitudes of nearby waypoints if needed.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm

Thanks, How I would set TLA as the first waypoint?

At the moment I have TLA as DP
and Haven as ST

I'm thinking Voxatc was easier to learn, simply read and repeat lol :D

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:26 pm

ridgeandgable wrote: *  Tue May 19, 2020 8:11 pm
Thanks, How I would set TLA as the first waypoint?
When making the original flight plan it's best to exclude the SID, so TLA would be the first waypoint. You could redo the flight plan with TLA as the first waypoint, or manually edit the .pln file to remove the earlier waypoints and then resave the file. Also remove the ST designation from HAVEN. Hope it works for you.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:05 pm

Perfect thanks, Will re-do the plan in simbrief and give it a fly tonight.

Thanks for your help, now just got to figure out what to say :D

Profile Quote
ridgeandgable
Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 1:38 am

Hi Dan

First flight complete from EGPH to EHAM... Flight was fantastic, approach was great, landing amazing 🤣 and all thanks to your help.

Approach after Sugol was great, I had about 8nm left before getting my vectors to the runway and then it brought me in perfect.

Only 2 issues I had on the entire flight and both were at EGPH was AIG traffic running into me on taxi, thankfully I had crashes off and I don’t get a voice from ATC. I get the text in the remote screen and my fo responds (mce) not sure if it’s a MCE setting or pf3 setting. Was working last night when testing but had an update today

1 issue at EHAM but it was minor and I just ignored it, that was getting taxi instructions after landing, I turned off to taxiway, fo asked for taxi to gate, I got the instructions then a few seconds was told to hold, waited 5 mins, asked again, got them again and then told to hold, I just ignored it and parked at the gate with no issues.

Very happy with the flight and software, glad I moved away from cox. Next flight will be with no fo once I get Atc sound sorted.

Thanks again

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:19 am
Site Admin

You really need to attach the debug log when reporting such errors as it's the only way we can really see what did or did not happen. The log can be found in your PF3/logs folder. If you've done another flight since this issue well need the old log but if you've done more than one flight since the issue we've lost the evidence unfortunately.

You need to zip the file before attaching it to your post.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 4  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: