OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Ideal Flight and PF3?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
jimh20
Post subject: Ideal Flight and PF3?
Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Hi,
Recently I've been flight planning with Ideal Flight which produces a lateral route right to final approach heading. I use a Flt1 GTTN 750 for navigation.

I'm trying to use this flightplan in PF3, changing altitudes down to 2000ft agl. for approach as I load the plan.

Since I don't need vectors to the runway I've been setting a "Star" to begin at the first of four short approach legs to be independent of PF3's help on the final descent to the runway.

PF3 doesn't like this arrangement. The Controller insists on my descending lower than a safe approach.

I seem to be screwing up PF3. Am I trying the impossible in marrying PF3 with an Ideal Flight Plan, or could someone point out where I'm going wrong? I do like both of these programs!

Regards, Jim H.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Ideal Flight and PF3?
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 am

I'm not familiar with the program you are using but as far as PF3 is concerned you get the best results if the last flight-plan waypoint is at least 20 miles from the destination airport. Waypoints closer than 20 miles can cause problems and in most cases you leave them out of the PF3 flight plan. Tick the STARs box on the SID/STAR page (don't set your last waypoint as the start of your STAR) and when you reach the last waypoint of your PF3 flight plan, you will be cleared for approach to the active runway at pilot's discretion. You can fly it however you want (by hand or by waypoints loaded into your FMC) but any close-in waypoints are not part of the PF3 flight plan. This means you sometimes need to edit your PF3 flight plan to remove waypoints that are too close to the airport.

When you reach your last PF3 waypoint and are cleared for approach at pilot's discretion, you will by default be cleared to descend to about 3000 ft AGL. This can be changed for each individual airport but the default settings work well in almost all cases and it is very rarely necessary to adjust it.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jimh20
Post subject: Re: Ideal Flight and PF3?
Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Thanks very much Dan.

I can see now where they clash. I'll try editing my next flightplan and report back.

Regards, Jim

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: