OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Changing runway at last minute

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
quietman
Post subject: Changing runway at last minute
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:40 am

Just when I think I am grasping this program something like this happens. It is bad enough when you have to wait till you are almost on top of the airport for landing instructions and then it changes with no time left to make adjustments. Is it me or is this the way the program or real life is designed. :?:

Attachments
[ attachment ]
atc log.jpg (254.99 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Changing runway at last minute
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:19 am

We don't have the debug log for your flight (debug_monitor.log file) so can't see exactly what happened but if you are getting landing instructions too late, your last flight-plan waypoint may be too close to the destination airport. You will get best results if your last waypoint is about 30 miles out and anything less than 20 miles out is definitely not recommended. Also, you can control the likelihood of getting a runway change by adjusting the settings on the Advanced Options and INI File Tweaks screen (see User Guide p. 69 for more info).

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
quietman
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:48 am

Here is the log file. I use the programs Simbrief and Little Navmap to create my flight plans. This flight I was using the star "Whiny4", and yes, the last waypoint was to close. But it was part of the star. This is the problem I am having. How do I get around this. It seems these flight planners will not allow you to delete one waypoint without deleting the whole star.

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(732.72 KiB) Downloaded 139 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:23 pm

SIDS/STARS in the US and Canada can be very long and you will usually want to include in your flight plan those waypoints that are more than about 30 miles from the airport, while leaving out closer waypoints. (In Europe most of the time you just leave the SID or STAR out of your flight plan entirely.) As you say, some flight planners will not allow you to delete waypoints from a SID or STAR, with the argument that if you do so you are not flying the "true" procedure. In these cases sometimes it is easiest to just manually edit the pln file and remove the unwanted waypoints before loading it into PF3.

In this case though I think the problem is that HLLZZ was in your flight plan twice (a result of the flight planner):
Quote:
waypoint.8=HOWDY, I, N32* 23.06',W96* 26.42',+000000.00
waypoint.9=BERMS, I, N32* 29.32',W96* 40.25',+000000.00
waypoint.10=HLLZZ, I, N32* 29.59',W96* 48.01',+000000.00
waypoint.11=HLLZZ, I, N32* 29.59',W96* 48.01',+000000.00
waypoint.12=KDFW, A, N32* 53.48',W97* 2.16',+000607.00
You can delete the duplicate waypoint by editing the pln file and re-save the file and it should work, as HLLZZ is about 26 miles out. If you have the STARS box UNCHECKED on the SID/STAR page before your flight starts, PF3 will begin issuing vectors to the active runway when you cross the last waypoint. If you have the STARS box checked, as you did, you will not get vectors. When you cross the last waypoint PF3 will clear you for approach to the active runway at pilot's discretion and it will be up to you to fly to the final approach course for the assigned runway.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: