OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 connected to strange lagging in TrackIr

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
BeeFlow
Post subject: PF3 connected to strange lagging in TrackIr
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:53 pm

I've been having a weird problem with TrackIr while running PF3. I mention PF3 because the problem doesn't show up unless I'm running P3Dv4, TrackIr and PF3 at the same time. About 30-60% of the time I get a long lag in the view changes while moving with TrackIr (up to 5 seconds). The lag goes away sometimes, but it isn't predictable (and it's a total pain on short final). I can make the lagging stop if I take the focus away from P3D. As long as some other program has the focus, TrackIr view movements don't lag. It's like there's a resource-sharing issue. Meanwhile, PF3 runs along just fine. The last few times I've used TrackIr, I just reverted to Radar Contact. I get no lagging at all with RC. Is there a fix for this? TIA

Attachments
Logs.zip
(747.83 KiB) Downloaded 157 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: PF3 connected to strange lagging in TrackIr
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:23 pm
Site Admin

There isn't a fix because there isn't a problem. PF3 would not cause such problems... it really isn't a resource hog!

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BeeFlow
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 pm

This wasn't a crank post. The presence of PF3 is making simming almost impossible in P3D for my set up. Whether it's your program, a setting in your program, or the way it shares a channel or port with another program, something is causing problems.

To have an "admin" pop up like a feather-headed debutante and say nothing's wrong is just bad form. It also leaves open the possibility that the developers are either aware of the problem and ignoring it - or they are just not willing to hear that their child is involved in wayward activities. You got my money; how about looking after your customer?

Wait until the engineers get back from vacation, OK? You are not representing well.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:14 pm
Site Admin

Firstly I AM the developer, I never suggested in any way yours was a 'crank post' and I am probably one of the few FS developers who really doesn't have a problem when someone highlights an issue or bug and would always be the first to admit when I've screwed up! So I will say it once again, as politely as I can, PF3 is NOT a resource hog and I very much doubt it is the cause of your problem.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BeeFlow
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:56 pm

OK, then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you have any idea where the bottleneck could be? Maybe P3D uses 100% of something the other two use..? I'm going over to TrackIr and float the question there, too.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:01 am

I don't use TrackIR and have a setup with limited system resources, and to get all the add-ons to play nice with each other I need to tweak the priorities of some of them in Windows Task Manager. I have no idea if increasing the priority of TrackIR would eliminate the lag without compromising performance elsewhere, and there may be other/better solutions, but I thought I would mention it.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:07 am

BeeFlow wrote: *  Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:53 pm
I can make the lagging stop if I take the focus away from P3D. As long as some other program has the focus, TrackIr view movements don't lag.
If P3D does not have focus, Windows reduces the CPU time available to it. As indicated by others, P3D might eat all CPU cycles it can get and for whatever reason it tries to eat more when you're using PF3.

Which software do you use for TrackIR? Just P3D? Or something else like EZDok Camera, Chase Plane, ...? If the latter, you might want to give a higher CPU priority to those. (with EZDok Camera you can do this in its settings)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BeeFlow
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 pm

First, thanks for the replies.

I usually use ASP3D4, LittleNavMap, TrackIr, PF3 and P3Dv4.4. Except for PF3, I've used the same group for a couple of years, now. Since it's most likely P3D being a monster with the resources, why not try to make it second fiddle to some program that uses a lot less resources? ...like PF3?

If it works, I'll report it.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: