OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Radio

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
JohnY
Post subject: Radio
Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:56 pm

I find the frequency to use for an airport without a tower ok butI've been struggling to discover the frequency to use for an IFR flight after take-off. Without it, I fly a virtually VFR flight with a controller keeping me to the initial altitude and not providing flight directions etc.

None of the Hotkey buttons seem to cover this scenario so I wondered if there is a secret for you to share please.

John

Profile Quote
jer029
Post subject: Re: Radio
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Should be a departure frequency I think, and you might have to use the display utility (it works with p3d where the kneeboard addon won't). This should show available frequencies. The uncontrolled airport I used has duplicate frequencies so the departure frequency was randomized and only available from the display app (and the clearance information from FSS if you missed it on the readout and readback). I think...I'm still working my way around this software.

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:06 pm

Hm, well, its all double dutch to me. However, I'm now using 'Little Nav Map' and
Flight Sim Airport Information. Between the two of them I seem to be able to sort out the frequencies I need.

Thanks for your interest jer.

John

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:10 pm

Many airfields do not have control towers so its necessary to start a flight using the radio. However, in the case of an IFR flight, that will not provide ongoing instructions such as direction and altitude to fly to.

Can someone kindly tell me please (simply 'cos I'm dim) how I can; a) contact the nearest tower and b) open an IFR flight plan with that tower?

Thanks

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:34 pm
Site Admin

This was taken from the Version History document...
Quote:
ADDED a new procedure for obtaining clearance from FSS when departing from an uncontrolled airport. Here's how it works. Tune to FSS and hit hotkey #0, this is your 'wake up' call to FSS... there could be a delay of up to 30 seconds so be patient, they're not ATC controllers. Once they put their coffee down they will ask you to 'go ahead' at which point, if you're using VCP mode 1, otherwise it will be automatic),you can either hit the 'Roger' hotkey or hotkey #0 again. Your VCP will then provide the necessary details regarding your flight plan to FSS, after which they will clear you as filed, give you an initial altitude and also the frequency for Departure, which of course you should contact asap after takeoff. Obviously this new feature is only available when your are at your departure airport.
And this was taken from the PF3 User Guide...
Quote:
20.3 Uncontrolled Airports
Should you find yourself departing from an uncontrolled airport, without Clearance, Tower or Ground control facilities you could be excused for asking 'how on earth do obtain IFR clearance in such a situation'?
New in PF3 version 3.2.0 we have introduced support for obtaining IFR clearance from FSS. Here's how it works...
First you need to tune to FSS and hit hotkey #0, this is your 'wake up' call to FSS... there could be a delay of up to 30 seconds so be patient, they're not ATC controllers. Once they put their coffee down they will ask you to 'go ahead' at which point, if you're using VCP mode 1, otherwise it will be automatic, you can either hit the 'Roger' hotkey or hotkey #0 again.
On doing so your VCP will provide the necessary details regarding your flight plan to FSS, after which they will clear you as filed, give you an initial altitude and also the frequency for Departure, which of course you should contact asap after takeoff. Obviously this new feature is only available when your are at your departure airport.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
JohnY
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:34 pm

Problem is, I've never been able to use FSS. What do you do? Type it in? or Click on it? Neither of these works for me.

John

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:43 pm
Site Admin

You dial it in the same as you do for any other ATC facility frequency

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: