OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Uncontrolled Airport Departure - fly runway heading.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
jer029
Post subject: Uncontrolled Airport Departure - fly runway heading.
Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 pm

Just a question - I fly from uncontrolled airport and make contact with departure. I'm stepped up to my cruise alt but never directed off runway heading or told to resume navigation. I'm not a real pilot so - am I supposed to just turn whenever I feel like it to pick up the first waypoint of my flight plan?

My flight is from KHIB to KMSP. I also note that the frequencies mostly incorrect even though they appear correct in the makerunways files and database update to pf3. I'd really like to use the correct frequencies listed on the real-world charts.

Lastly - another plug for the added feature of redirecting the sound output to my headphones. The swapping of default output back and forth is a less than satisfactory work-around for me.

Thanks.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Uncontrolled Airport Departure - fly runway heading.
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 pm
Site Admin

When reporting a problem you MUST zip and attach the log files from your PF3\Logs folder! Without these we have absolutely no way of know what has or hasn't occurred.

With regard to frequencies, PF3 uses those frequencies from FS and dependant on which FS you're using they could be very, very old and may not match your real world charts.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jer029
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:39 am

Ok, here's my logs from a repeat flight today - KHIB to KMSP (p3dv4).

I'm still confused regarding whether I should wait for permission to turn from runway heading and onto my flight plan.

As for the frequency issue. I've noted that Approach and Departure share the frequency. No doubt that Pf3-atc makes a change due to this conflict. Assuming that the Approach frequency was left as the original and I was given a random Departure frequency, would it not be more intuitive to ascertain that I was, in fact at the airport and therefore departing, to keep the Departure frequency as the posted frequency and change the Arrival frequency to the random one?

I'll leave it to you to figure out the question as to whether I should just redirect to my flight plan rather than continue to fly runway heading after contacting departure and being stepped up to my cruise altitude without being instructed to resume my own navigation or otherwise directed off runway heading.

Thanks,

John

Attachments
Logs.zip
(479.72 KiB) Downloaded 239 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:55 am

jer029 wrote: *  Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:39 am
I'll leave it to you to figure out the question as to whether I should just redirect to my flight plan rather than continue to fly runway heading after contacting departure and being stepped up to my cruise altitude without being instructed to resume my own navigation or otherwise directed off runway heading.
Thanks for pointing this out. It looks like there may be a problem that occurs when flying IFR and departing from an untowered airport. I have raised the issue on the Beta forum and hopefully it will be addressed in the next maintenance release.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jer029
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks Dan,

Again, I'm not a real pilot so I'm never sure if it's something I should be doing or expecting ATC to have me do.

I did note that KHIB shows both a Clearance frequency and the FSS frequency. It appears that both give clearances. I'm not sure if this is a normal thing to have both at an uncontrolled airport, or if this might be related as to what might be confusing PF3 - if there even is a problem here, but I've tried using both these clearances I think - separately and both on the same flight and none of the three variations seem to get Departure to direct me off runway heading - or if I'm just supposed to change course from runway heading whenever I feel like it.

John

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:14 pm

If there is a Clearance frequency at your departure airport, you should use it to obtain clearance. The PF3 on-screen display prompted you to change to the Clearance frequency at the start of the flight:
Quote:
10/21/2018 9:42:10 AM: 940 - FS Screen : ComFreq: 122.6 <> ClearanceFreq: 127.4
but the problem with Departure is a separate issue and happens either way, so hopefully it will be addressed in an upcoming release.

If there is no Clearance frequency at your departure airport but there is a Ground frequency, you get your clearance from Ground. If there is no Clearance or Ground frequency, you get your clearance from Tower. If your departure airport has none of those (Clearance, Ground, or Tower), contact FSS.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: