OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Contradictory ATC instructions

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
martinlest
Post subject: Re: Contradictory ATC instructions
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi. It's not a case of closing individual runways. It is, as I say, simply so that, having set up an arrival runway with its STAR (real-world pilots don't usually do this when they hear from ATC on approach, unless ATC instructs a runway change from that in the flight plan: AFAIK it's done at the departure taking weather at the arrival airport - which can sometimes change of course - into account), should ATC give a runway for landing that is not the one already set (which is often the case at larger airports), the pilot does not go ahead and confirm it automatically - 'cos then I have to ask for a runway change immediately after having confirmed the ATC's runway choice. Just cosmetic, but it always sounds a bit 'daft'! :)

A checkbox, or even a line that one can change manually in the ini file would be great.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:49 pm
Site Admin

It may sound a bit daft but I think you should complete the read back after ATC assigns a runway even if you want to request a change. ATC need to know you have received and understood their instruction. If you didn't read it back but simply requested a runways change, which 'might' be refused, how would ATC then know that you received and correctly understood their previous instruction?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:13 pm

That's not how it happens in any of the real-world cockpit videos I have seen - well, I say 'any' - to be honest I only know of one instance of a request for runway change: but the pilot simply says 'Roger' then requests a different runway...

Martin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Two other points Dave:

1. I tried cycling back from Mode 2 to Mode 1 well before the arrival runway was likely to be assigned. But inn Mode 1, the pilot still confirmed the first runway given, with no input needed from me.

2. On departure, in Mode 1 (I haven't tried Mode 2), when the pilot gets ATC instructions to taxi to the runway, the pilot does not (correctly, from a PF3 point of view) read back the instructions until I give a keyboard input. That means if I want to change I just press the appropriate keys (and all works fine) - there's no pilot confirmation of the 'wrong' runway first.

If Mode 1 is set so that the pilot confirms the arrival runway, maybe that shouldn't happen? For me, I would appreciate an option in the ini file (or whatever) to stop this auto-confirmation of arrival runway in any mode (at least 0, 1 & 2): I know it's only a cosmetic thing in the end, but even so... ;)

Martin

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: