OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 SimmConnect Window Always on top

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
musky
Post subject: PF3 SimmConnect Window Always on top
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Something I have noticed just recently that is showing up as an annoyance in PF3 although I am also going to raise support topic in Prepar3D forum as well for this. Recently it is as if the ATC messages have be given always on top priority. I am using only a single pc so for example I may be looking at a chart or even in the middle of reading an email during a flight and any output from PF3 even background ATC chatters brings the focus immediately back to P3D window. While an ATC message is being displayed I just cannot move away from the P3D window until the message windows is closed. I've looked thorugh PF3 manual to see it there is perhaps an option I have selected that is causing this as it is only just recently shown up a problem but could not find anything. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

I also recently noticed a problem with ATC volume just getting lower and lower during the flight and was able to get a solution in the forum for what was a windows setting rather than a PF3 problem.

Appreciate and idea

Thanks

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: PF3 SimmConnect Window Always on top
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:19 pm
Site Admin

Well PF3 doesn't do that so perhaps it's a setting in P3D... although it does sound a bit strange

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
musky
Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Didn't really think it was PF3 and I will be going round the houses on this one in a process of elimination. It is an annoying feature though

Thanks

Profile Quote
musky
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi Dave,

As a follow up to this issue I posted a note on FSUIPC support site and Pete Dowson reported that:- "there have been strange things reported in P3D4.3 which eventually narrow down to actual memory corruption due to a bad "wxstationlist.bin file". He suggested I delete this file. I deleted the file and this resolved the problem however, and I have tried this several times with the same result, with this file deleted PF3 works as normal up until the point I request taxi PF3 responds "Stand by" followed by another "Stand by" and thats it PF3 stops responding. The red and green lights still flash but I will not get another response from PF3. None of the hot keys I press bleep and that is the end of the flight.

I have included a zip file of the log files directory to see if there is any light on what it going wrong.

When I restart everything again the "wxstationlist.bin file" is back and so is the problem with the simmconnect window, but PF3 works normally again.

This is looking more like some weird things are going in P3DV4.3 I am trying to get as much background info as I can

Thanks

Attachments
PF3.zip
(59.7 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 pm
Site Admin

PF3 doesn't access or require that file so it has nothing to do with the 'stand by' issue you mention. This is 'probably' something to do with your AFCAD file for the departure airport. The first run at finding a suitable taxi path failed as a continuous path could not be found... so we then result to another routine which is unfortunately slower and it would have found a pathway but it looks like you killed the program first.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rustydog
Posted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi musky,

If you use a 3rd party airport like uk2000 it can take a long time to get your taxi instructions. I often wait 2,3,4 or more minutes at Heathrow uk2000. Its busy and lots of taxiways to sift through.... and yes I'm sometimes late taking off so I usually add extra time when landing or departing Heathrow. Hope this helps. Steve.

Same at Uk2000 Manchester

Flying Daily, sometimes twice.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
musky
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am

Thank you for the hint, but the problem was being caused by me. I was requesting taxi with the aircraft pretty much at the threshold which was confusing it.

I am trying to get to the bottom of a real annoying issue that effectively locks my PC whenever PF3 sends a communication to the simmconnect message window. It was suggested in another forum I delete a file ”wxstationlist.bin” created by P3D that an can become corrupted. Deleting the file seemed to resolve the problem but then it appeared PF3 would then stop responding at taxi instructions. This was just a red herring I created.

What is actually happening is, deleting this file resolves the issue but only temporarily, PF3 ATIS clearance, taxi all OK but by the time PF3 issues “Contact Tower” instruction the problem is back and when I exit P3D, that file is back.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:32 am
Site Admin

Have you tried turning off PF3's closed caption mode so it doesn't send any messages that are displayed on you FS screen, just as a process of elimination. You could also try running our RemoteText utility so PF3 will pipe all messages to that rather than FSUIPC (which in turn sends them to FS/SimConnect) and again as process of elimination to see if the 'always on top' issue disappears.

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
musky
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:11 pm

I would need to read the manual on setting up remote text on another pc however switching off closed caption mode does seemed to have resolved the issue.

As I write this note I am in the middle of a flight and can hear the ATC chatter and my PF3 instructions in the background but I am not being switched back to the P3D window and it would have been impossible to write this note during a flight before.

Now Dave you have not just provided me with a possible work around to this infuriating issue, but I am thinking this is probably my preferred way of using PF3 from now on. I am losing nothing by using PF3 this way. I just have to issue “Say Again” and I have a written output of all ATC instructions in fact it will make me listen to ATC instructions and not just read them.

I am not going to be able to look at this problem after today for the next few days but I suspect if I do not come up with any dislikes about using PF3 without closed captions I will just continue this way.

Many thanks Dave for your support

Mark

Profile Quote
drumsart
Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:11 pm

musky wrote: *  Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:18 pm
Something I have noticed just recently that is showing up as an annoyance in PF3 although I am also going to raise support topic in Prepar3D forum as well for this. Recently it is as if the ATC messages have be given always on top priority. I am using only a single pc so for example I may be looking at a chart or even in the middle of reading an email during a flight and any output from PF3 even background ATC chatters brings the focus immediately back to P3D window. While an ATC message is being displayed I just cannot move away from the P3D window until the message windows is closed. I've looked thorugh PF3 manual to see it there is perhaps an option I have selected that is causing this as it is only just recently shown up a problem but could not find anything. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue.

I also recently noticed a problem with ATC volume just getting lower and lower during the flight and was able to get a solution in the forum for what was a windows setting rather than a PF3 problem.

Appreciate and idea

Thanks
I noticed the same...
Regards,

Richard Portier
MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU Oc @ 4.5GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB|Windows10Pro64|P3Dv5|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: