OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Flight Planner for Pf3

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
bobsk8
Post subject: Flight Planner for Pf3
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:01 am

Just wondering what users of PF3 use for their flight plans. i have been using Simbrief, and my typical flight is around 300-400 miles. I find that many times I only get two or three waypoints, and sometimes the way points are over 100 miles from the arrival airport. Since Pf3 likes a waypoint to be around 30-40 miles from arrival and departure, would PFPX do a better job of creating waypoints that close to airports?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Post subject: Re: Flight Planner for Pf3
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:34 am

I use Simbrief as well to generate flightplans for AivlaSoft EFB, Active Sky and the MJCQ400.
I think it depends on the area you fly. Try LOWS to EDDF and you get a load of WPTs for a relatively short flight. But Eastern Europe sometimes give just a few with large distance in between.
I you want to check, just click the SkyVector button and you will get probably the same.

The only time I found that PF3 has difficulties is when there is just one waypoint. In the real world, at some locations, waypoints are further apart than 30/40 Nm just because there is ´nothing´ in between. ;-)

Happy landings,
Dirk

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 2*HDD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.1; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.1, PF3 ATC.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:09 am
Site Admin

PF3 is only really concerned with waypoints being too close together.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cmg344
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:05 pm

I use Flight Sim Commander 10 and it works really fine, specially when you have a few waypoints, in this case, you can always create/insert your own waypoints.

Kind regards,

Carlos

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Thanks, guess I will stick with Simbrief then.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:39 pm

When flying in the US and Canada the SIDs/STARs are so long that you will probably want to include some of the procedure waypoints in your PF3 flight plan, if they are common to all runways (you will cross them regardless which runway is active). If a STAR transition is 100 miles out you will probably want to include some closer waypoints. This may or may not help but one user asked about setting up an arrival into IAD from the northeast:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2870

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Dan77 wrote: *  Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:39 pm
When flying in the US and Canada the SIDs/STARs are so long that you will probably want to include some of the procedure waypoints in your PF3 flight plan, if they are common to all runways (you will cross them regardless which runway is active). If a STAR transition is 100 miles out you will probably want to include some closer waypoints. This may or may not help but one user asked about setting up an arrival into IAD from the northeast:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2870
That is what I was looking for, thanks.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:35 pm

Took Dan 77's advice and am using Simbrief to create flight plans for PF3.

1. Create FP with Simbrief
2. Simbrief will recommend a Sid and Star if they are available at the airports in the FP
3. I look up the Sid/Star on Skyvector, and see the waypoints that make them up.
4. Pick a star waypoint that is closer to the arrival airport , if the distance is lengthy. ( Usually no need to do this with a Sid)
5. Delete the sid and or star in the simbrief FP , and in it's place for the star, use the waypoint that I selected from the waypoints in the star. In the Simbrief remarks I also write the name of the Sid or Star so I can enter it later in the FMC.
6. Generate the Flight plan on simbrief.
6. Use the Simbrief downloader to send FP to needed locations in my sim, and aircraft FMC.

I use PlanG3 for my moving map, and I can import the flightplan I just created. This entire process takes me about 5 minutes, and I have a usable star and sid for my flight.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: