OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

"... contact tower on XXX.X when established" ??

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
martinlest
Post subject: Re: "... contact tower on XXX.X when established" ??
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 pm

debug_monitor.zip
(640.33 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
For some reason the log file (as .zip) won't attach... trying again as a separate reply...

OK, seemed to upload this time. Odd.

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Anyone able to help please? I attach another log file... It seems to me that in Mode 2 (as I have said) things are not always happening as they should be.

For instance, when en route and ATC says for the a/c to contact a different centre, (giving the frequency), in Mode 2 I would expect the frequency to change and the contact to be made automatically by the VCP, and mostly it does so: but I notice that sometimes no verbal contact is made, even if PF3 does change the frequency. I have to press the appropriate key myself, as if I were in Mode 1. There is at least one instance of that, possibly more, in this log file (I don't know if you can see the difference between a PF3 input and a user key input from the log?). I always have the COM window open on a separate monitor so that I can check on what is being said by ATC (and the Remote Text window too, so I can check the pilot's replies), BTW.

On this flight, having been asked to contact Frankfurt tower when established, nothing happened once again. I have another question about this though - maybe in this case I was a little premature when I changed the frequency/made contact with ATC 'manually' myself, as if I were in Mode 1: I was getting close to the glideslope and still no frequency change and subsequent contact with the tower had been made, so I did it myself... But at what point (i.e. what is the trigger) does PF3 register the aircraft as being 'established', and (in Mode 2) switch to the indicated frequency and have the VCP contact the tower? If I know exactly when this is supposed to occur, it will be easier to know when things might not be happening as they are supposed to and to do 'the necessary' manually, before it's too late for a nice approach and landing...

Any clues from the logs I have uploaded as to why I have this recurring issue?

Thank you. :)

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(966.84 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:52 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm
Anyone able to help please? I attach another log file... It seems to me that in Mode 2 (as I have said) things are not always happening as they should be.

For instance, when en route and ATC says for the a/c to contact a different centre, (giving the frequency), in Mode 2 I would expect the frequency to change and the contact to be made automatically by the VCP, and mostly it does so: but I notice that sometimes no verbal contact is made, even if PF3 does change the frequency. I have to press the appropriate key myself, as if I were in Mode 1. There is at least one instance of that, possibly more, in this log file (I don't know if you can see the difference between a PF3 input and a user key input from the log?). I always have the COM window open on a separate monitor so that I can check on what is being said by ATC (and the Remote Text window too, so I can check the pilot's replies), BTW.

On this flight, having been asked to contact Frankfurt tower when established, nothing happened once again. I have another question about this though - maybe in this case I was a little premature when I changed the frequency/made contact with ATC 'manually' myself, as if I were in Mode 1: I was getting close to the glideslope and still no frequency change and subsequent contact with the tower had been made, so I did it myself... But at what point (i.e. what is the trigger) does PF3 register the aircraft as being 'established', and (in Mode 2) switch to the indicated frequency and have the VCP contact the tower? If I know exactly when this is supposed to occur, it will be easier to know when things might not be happening as they are supposed to and to do 'the necessary' manually, before it's too late for a nice approach and landing...

Any clues from the logs I have uploaded as to why I have this recurring issue?

Thank you. :)
I use Mode 2 all the time. When I get instruction to change frequency, the CP acknowledges the instruction. The frequency changes in the radio, and then it is up to me to contact the next controller by hitting the 0 key ( or whatever you are using to contact controller). If I fail to do this, then eventually PF3 gives up, ( Pilot error)

When I get instruction to contact tower when on final, I am given the frequency of the tower> It is then up to me, when established on the GS, to switch to tower Frequency and hit the 1 key to ask for landing clearance. Most of the time I contact the tower even before I am on G/S, around 10 miles out, and the tower will say something like " Continue approach you are number 1 for landing. Once that happens, the next thing the tower will do when you are on short final is clear you to land.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Oh, is that so? I had always used Mode 2 but had taken to using Mode 1 in X-Plane. Due to some Mode 1 issues I have gone back to Mode 2 - I thought that in Mode 2 the VCP took care of all that. I am sure (well, 99%) that in Mode 2 the VCP has in the past changed the frequency and contacted the tower.. am I really remembering something that didn't happen?? (Frightening!).

Maybe Dave could confirm that in Mode 2, you still have to do this change and check-in manually. (When exactly is 'established'?).

Thanks.

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:48 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm
Oh, is that so? I had always used Mode 2 but had taken to using Mode 1 in X-Plane. Due to some Mode 1 issues I have gone back to Mode 2 - I thought that in Mode 2 the VCP took care of all that. I am sure (well, 99%) that in Mode 2 the VCP has in the past changed the frequency and contacted the tower.. am I really remembering something that didn't happen?? (Frightening!).

Maybe Dave could confirm that in Mode 2, you still have to do this change and check-in manually. (When exactly is 'established'?).

Thanks.
I probably have at least 300 flights on mode 2. That is the way it works for me each and every time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 pm
Site Admin

martinlest wrote: *  Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks.
CP Mode 2 will in fact hit the relevant hotkey for you in most instances. After getting 'contact tower when established' it will not (neither will CP Mode 3), although CP Mode 3 will setup the AP Alt and VSI Rate... CP Mode 2+3 will setup NAV1 frequency and VOR heading. To get CP Mode 2 or 3 to make contact with Tower you need to be less than 10 miles from the runway and on a heading of +/- 45 degrees of the active runway heading.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:17 pm

Quote:
To get CP Mode 2 or 3 to make contact with Tower you need to be less than 10 miles from the runway and on a heading of +/- 45 degrees of the active runway heading.
I was sure that this had worked in Mode 2 in the past - yes, I would have been that close to the airport and lined up with the localizer. (I wonder why then, when I wait for this to happen in the same circumstances, I sometimes get nothing from ATC and can just overfly the airport unless I go 'manual').

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:31 pm
Site Admin

Next time you have that problem let us see the log please

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Does the log file I posted on 13/6 not help, Dave? I can of course post another..

Thanks.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:57 pm
Site Admin

martinlest wrote: *  Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:40 pm
Does the log file I posted on 13/6 not help, Dave? I can of course post another..

Thanks.
I believe you were flying a STAR. In which case no, you won't get an automatic handoff because how would PF3 know when you've completed your STAR?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 21 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: