OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Updating PF3 database in X-Plane 11?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
martinlest
Post subject: Re: Updating PF3 database in X-Plane 11?
Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:56 am

.. or, I guess, far easier to update the FS9 runways.csv file manually, with information from the XP11 version, and then run the PF3 database update process on that amended FS9 csv file. I'll try it on EIDW anyway.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 am
Site Admin

PF3 doesn't only use runways.csv, it also uses most of the files generated by MakeRwys plus the Runways.xml file... and that's just off the top of my head as I'm not near my development machine. :)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 am

Hi Dave - yes, I edited those files manually too, adding the missing runways at EIDW into the runways.xml file. The problem I found is this (or at least there may be others - but this is the brick wall that I hit): I ran MakeRunways.exe to get a clean copy of the runway files. I then ran PF3 db updater and, as expected, it ran fast and completed in 10 seconds or so. I then opened the csv file in MS Excel and saved it again, no changes. An Excel dialogue appears saying that certain features of the file will not be retained if you save in csv format. You can either continue and lose those features (whatever they are, the 'Help' option didn't help!) or save as a file such as xls or xlsx (which presumably PF3 wouldn't recognise).

When you run the PF3 db updater on an unchanged, but re-saved csv file, as above, it now runs far more slowly and ends with an Update Failed notice. I have no idea how to add data to the csv and save it without it resulting in a file PF3 rejects.

Then of course, you'd have to be pretty keen to edit the runways.xml file manually for every update - it requires lots of information, which I did for EIDW as an experiment, but it is clear that editing these files is not an option. And editing the PF3 files directly Dave? I am guessing that's no more feasible than what I tried.

Oh well, at least now I know! Unless the developer of PFEtoX-Plane can suggest something, or the developer of the MakeRunways for X-Plane does produce a version for PF3, then we've presumably reached a dead end. (Slightly annoying that PFEtoX-Plane, as payware, does not have the facility to update the PF3 database, which will gradually contain more and more errors as a result: I didn't realise that when I bought it: an annoyance rather than a deal breaker though. At least I can use PF3 in X-Plane with this plugin!).

Enjoy your Sunday!

Martin

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: