OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

HELP WITH STAR ALTITUDE SETTINGS

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Dean33
Post subject: HELP WITH STAR ALTITUDE SETTINGS
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 am

Hi Dave
I've been using PF3 six months and am totally happy. Thank you!

I am struggling with STARS and altitudes and am hearing 'continue on the STAR' but am struggling to get proper descent clearances.

I've re-read the manual several times and watched the tutorials. It may be these are too complicated or unique at LOWI to demonstrate a simple case I can use elsewhere at somewhere more mundane!

Could you indulge me and give an example for KIAD DELRO 4 STAR to 1R. (I've flown this one six times now and never quite get it right!)

I'm cruising at say 24,000.

The charts say expect to be at 14,000 at LIRCH
and 10,000 at HYPER

and around 4,000 at IVVVY

I am setting STAR commencement at LRP.
14,000 and 10,000 as above.

But what should I do on the other waypoints to get the correct STAR descent instructions?

Could you select it and complete this one for me (us) and screenshot it here, please?

Thanks, Dean

UK P3DV4 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - MTS800 256GB M.2, 1TB HDD 7200.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: HELP WITH STAR ALTITUDE SETTINGS
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:43 am

There are several ways to handle it but this is how I would set it up. For the PF3 flight plan, FDK would probably be the last waypoint. It is about 28 miles out, and you don’t know whether you will be landing south or north (you said landing 1R but the winds or AI traffic may dictate otherwise). Depending on your flight planner, you may need to remove waypoints after FDK from the pln file before loading it into PF3. You can start your STAR at LRP and enter the 14000 and 10000 crossing altitudes as you have done. In order to have a reasonable descent you should probably be no higher than 20000 at DELRO so you may need to adjust that as well, and 13000 at BINNS. (You can check the distances between waypoints either on the charts or by hovering your mouse over the waypoint names on the PF3 waypoint page.)

When you reach FDK, PF3 will tell you to expect vectors to the active runway. (I have assumed here that you do NOT have the STARs box checked on the SID/STAR page.) If landing to the south (19s or 12) I would just accept PF3’s vectoring to the active runway. If you are landing north (for example, 1R) you have two choices. You can accept PF3’s vectoring, which will not follow the rest of the STAR, or you can press hotkey 1 to request clearance at pilot’s discretion. You will then not get vectors and can fly the rest of the STAR downwind (HUSEL, IVVVY) on your own and descend and line up with the assigned runway.

If you have the STARs box checked on the SID/STAR page, you will not get vectors after your last waypoint, so you will be on your own. If you leave the box unchecked, you can choose to accept the vectors at your last waypoint or hit hotkey 1 to be cleared at pilot’s discretion if you prefer.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dean33
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:30 am

Thank you that really helped. :)

Before I try this could you please clarify what instructions i should receive on descent profile? Will I ever hear ‘descend via the STAR’?

UK P3DV4 Simmer
PilotEdge I11, CAT11, A-Z (ZLA)

System details: Gigabyte P57v7 CF2 17.3" laptop. Kaby Lake i7 7700HQ CPU (averaging 3.4mhz). NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8mb (laptop version), 16 GB of DDR4-2400 RAM, SSD - MTS800 256GB M.2, 1TB HDD 7200.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:27 pm

I don't believe so. PF3 will clear you to begin your descent at pilot's discretion but in my experience if you leave cruise before then, you will get nagged.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dean33
Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Thank you Dan

Your explanation has helped considerably.

I may have 'seen the light' and I'm sure this thread will help others.

Cheers

Dean

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: