OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 flightplan Altitudes

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
A320Flyer
Post subject: PF3 flightplan Altitudes
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:22 pm

As a long term user of PFE, I decided to download and try the PF3 DEMO. However, there is something that I cant quite get my head round!

I tried a short flight from Leeds to Dublin so that it would be less than the 200nm restriction of the DEMO. No matter what flight profile I chose (climb/descent of 2000fpm or 500fpm), when I check the flightplan altitudes, it always shows Cruise Altitude of FL320. This seems a bit high for this flight. I did fly it with the A320 and it was a fairly successful flight, albeit I struggled to get down to the FAF altitude.

In PFE, by adjusting the climb/descent rates, it would affect the Cruise Altitude in the flightplan and a more realistic Cruise Altitude could be achieved. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any assistance.

Bill

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: PF3 flightplan Altitudes
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:39 pm

The cruise altitude is set in the flight plan you load into PF3, so check the flight planner you use to create and save the flight plan. For short flights just select a lower cruise altitude for the flight plan before you load it into PF3.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
A320Flyer
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Many thanks for such a quick response. I use FSC9 to do my flightplans and I always leave the Cruise Alt at default (FL320). With PFE I never then needed to set my Cruise Altitude as PFE would just give you what it thought was a good profile. I set the Cruise Alt in FSC9 to FL240 and PF3 gave a much better profile. Many thanks for your assistance.

Cheers
Bill

PS, but then what does the A/C profile do in PF3 if the Cruise Alt is set in the flightplan?

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:17 pm

You will need to set the cruise level each time you save a flight plan in FSC9, or you can manually edit the pln file and change the cruise altitude there, then save the file.
Quote:
[Flightplan]
AppVersion=9.1.40901
title=CYYZ to CYYC
description=CYYZ, CYYC
type=IFR
routetype=1
cruising_altitude=34000
There are times when you may need to manually edit the pln file anyway. PFE (or PF2000) dropped waypoints that were too close to the airport or too close together. PF3 does not drop waypoints; it just shows a warning. FSC9 will not allow you to delete waypoints from a SID or STAR so there may be instances where you need to edit the pln file to remove waypoints you don't want.
Quote:
PS, but then what does the A/C profile do in PF3 if the Cruise Alt is set in the flightplan?
You can set climb and descent rates which PF3 uses for internal step-climbs and descents, but if you want to cross a waypoint at a particular altitude you should still set it on the waypoint page. The a/c profiles also allow you to set final approach speeds for different aircraft. Select the a/c profile when loading the flight plan.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
A320Flyer
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Many thanks again. With that knowledge, I'll try another flight.

Cheers
Bill

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: