OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Stars for Dummies

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
bobsk8
Post subject: Stars for Dummies
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Been using PF3 for a couple of years off and on along with another ATC program. I like many features about PF3, but the real problem I seem to have is utilizing STARS. I fly the Majestic Q400 and PMDG 737, for a VA, and with PF3 I am not sure how to find a Star, and set everything up before I even begin the flight. It is my understanding that the STAR which depends on the weather and landing runway, can change during the course of the flight. Once I begin the flight, the menu items in PF3 are not accesible as far as I know. So what are users doing to set up a Star, prior to takeoff, and further more , if it is a large airport with multiple runways, how do they guess the correct star before they even depart? I was thinking about getting PFPX to put stars and sids in flight plan before takeoff, but not even sure this will work. , but I don't know if this a solution that will work. Hoping other tubeliner Pikots with FMC's offer suggestions.

The other alternative, seems to be just to forget Sids and Stars and ask for vectors for everything, which doesn't seem to be that realistic. By the way I have been simming for around 3 decades and am a licensed pilot, so I am not new to this.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Stars for Dummies
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:04 pm

There are multiple solutions to this:
1. You can add one STAR (and one SID) per runway, depending on the wind the runway will change, so PF3 will find the one matching the runway in use. Sometimes there are more procedures per runway, but from what I know they only depend on the final waypoint (known when you depart) or aircraft type (known) or similar things.
Just enter the ICAO code on the SIDs/STARs page to set them.
2. You can use the generic name ST (for STAR) or DP (for departure procedure / SID) and fly what your FMC offers after the runway is known (perhaps with an initial guess by PFPX).
3. Use "Request Cleared To Final At Pilot's Discretion" to fly any arrival procedure (STAR, GPS/ILS transition or whatever)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm

In terms of flight planning for PF3, you should generally include in your PF3 flight plan only waypoints you are certain you will cross. Anything that is runway-specific should probably not be included, as you don't know which runway will be active at the time. SID or STAR waypoints that are common to all runways can be included. You generally get the best results if the last PF3 waypoint is about 25-30 miles out, so if you choose to add a SID or STAR using your flight planner you may need to manually remove from the pln file any waypoints that are runway-specific or close to the airport.
Quote:
The other alternative, seems to be just to forget Sids and Stars and ask for vectors for everything, which doesn't seem to be that realistic.
Standard vectoring is not going to work well in all cases. Terrain and restricted airspace are some typical issues. In these cases you are going to want to consult the charts and fly the departure or approach procedures at pilot’s discretion. PF3 is not going to assign a GPS or VOR DME or DME arc approach. Those choices are up to you and are flown at pilot's discretion.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 pm

I read a post on this forum or another forum somewhere about a "drop down list" for sids and stars in PF3. I have never seen that, does that exist?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:32 pm

bobsk8 wrote: *  Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:16 pm
I read a post on this forum or another forum somewhere about a "drop down list" for sids and stars in PF3. I have never seen that, does that exist?
Yes, see the User Guide (in your PF3\Help folder) p. 47 for more info. It allows you to save the procedure names that you have entered so they can be selected (rather than typed in) before each flight.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jonald
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 am

Hi,

New to here. Bought PF3 a few months back and the thing I couldnt find was SIDS and STARS. Now looking into it, and it seems that these cannot just be imported from the current Airac - is this true? I currently have other ATC programs which have this option of deciding the runway and SID / STAR that is most appropriate at the time of flying.

Can this be done in PF3?

Thanks

John

Profile Quote
Sabre
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:27 am

John, look up SID or STAR hits in the manual. There's hardly a way around. I've got all of ATC programs out there and PF3 is my favorite. Particularly its SID/STAR solution, as you need to learn (shortly at least) the procedures you are going to fly, like real pilots do. And they can be saved after you entered the necessary information. Very satisfying experience if you ask me.

Cheers

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: