OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC strange behaviour

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Dan77
Post subject: Re: ATC strange behaviour
Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 pm

Dan77 wrote: *  Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 am
for the other frequencies (including handoffs to Center/Control) you need to be sure to press hotkey 0 to check in after being handed off.
Of course what I should have said is in Modes 0 and 1 you need to be sure to press the appropriate hotkey to check in after being handed off. Sometimes the hotkey is not 0, depending on the facility and your phase of flight (e.g., Tower 6 to report ready for departure, Ground 5 to report clear of runway after landing, etc.)

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Just a little 'addendum'... on my current flight I was cleared to 8000' at the gate, then to 10000' en route. I flew for 20 minutes or so at 10000' with no further instructions to climb (cruise alt is 37000'). I checked in once or twice ('with you at FL 100'): just got 'Roger' from ATC - no climb instruction. I was experimenting staying in Mode 1. So I switched to Mode 2. Very shortly after doing so I checked in again and was now given climb instructions. And then again, further climb instructions later.. There seems to be something wrong with Mode 1... (just the mode I prefer to use, of course!).

I'll stick to Mode 2 for now, which seems 'bug free'. If you need a log file for this flight, let me know and I'll upload it.

Thanks,

Martin

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:44 pm
Site Admin

Yes please attach the log file Martin

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:17 pm

OK, log attached. Something went wrong with the speed after clearance to FL190... just ignore, I must have dialled in the wrong speed (?). Also a long pause in the log, as I had to go out for a few hours. All the relevant stuff (if any) will be before that pause.

Martin

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 191 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:49 pm
Site Admin

Martin, the only problem I can see is you waited a long time to contact the control center following ATC's instructions to do so.

This is what the log reveals:-
12:01 ATC instruct you to Resume own navigation

12:01 ATC instruct you to Climb to 10,000

12:02 ATC instruct you to Contact Control on 127.65 
12:02 You roger

12:19 You make contact on 127.65

12:20 ATC instruct you to climb to 25,000

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi Dave. I don't know what to say in this case: for me, I did everything right. I know that certain communications from ATC are not coming through in Mode 1 (as discussed in other threads), but it may well be that today this was my fault, if the instruction to change frequencies came through OK (and I suppose it did!) and I really did wait all that time before I did so. This is one of the reasons real-world planes have two pilots of course - some of these X-Plane aircraft take a lot of attention to fly and with just one pilot an ATC response might get missed like this from time to time. Plus, if I were a real-world pilot, I'd be pushing retiring age by now - which doesn't help! ;)

Assuming this was my fault then...

I would opt to go back to flying in Mode 2 all the time to avoid these errors. The only issue for me there is that I really don't want the pilot automatically confirming ATC runway selection on approach (which happens even in Mode 1 at the moment, as you are aware). Small (?) request: I wonder if, for the next update, you might consider an option somewhere so that, when checked, even in Mode 2, the pilot response to ATC's 'cleared to runway xxx...' is always a manual one. That would give the opportunity to ask for a runway change and avoid having to ask for this only after the pilot has already confirmed the ATC landing instructions for their runway choice. Or would that be a real pain to set up? (Going back again to Mode 1 in mid-flight, sequencing through the other modes to arrive back at Mode 1, is not very 'neat', I think).

Thanks Dave, as ever..

Martin

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:20 pm
Hi Dave. I don't know what to say in this case: for me, I did everything right. I know that certain communications from ATC are not coming through in Mode 1 (as discussed in other threads), but it may well be that today this was my fault, if the instruction to change frequencies came through OK (and I suppose it did!) and I really did wait all that time before I did so. This is one of the reasons real-world planes have two pilots of course - some of these X-Plane aircraft take a lot of attention to fly and with just one pilot an ATC response might get missed like this from time to time. Plus, if I were a real-world pilot, I'd be pushing retiring age by now - which doesn't help! ;)

Assuming this was my fault then...

I would opt to go back to flying in Mode 2 all the time to avoid these errors. The only issue for me there is that I really don't want the pilot automatically confirming ATC runway selection on approach (which happens even in Mode 1 at the moment, as you are aware). Small (?) request: I wonder if, for the next update, you might consider an option somewhere so that, when checked, even in Mode 2, the pilot response to ATC's 'cleared to runway xxx...' is always a manual one. That would give the opportunity to ask for a runway change and avoid having to ask for this only after the pilot has already confirmed the ATC landing instructions for their runway choice. Or would that be a real pain to set up? (Going back again to Mode 1 in mid-flight, sequencing through the other modes to arrive back at Mode 1, is not very 'neat', I think).

Thanks Dave, as ever..

Martin
Most real planes, have only one pilot. If ATC gives you an instruction or frequency change, and you don't follow it, ATC is not going to be very happy in the real world. I used to have problems with ATC programs, and in each and every case, I found that I was either not acknowledging or following an instruction and or contacting the new controller once I switched the frequency. , Once I realized this, my problems went away 100%. It is easy with the ATC chatter, to miss an instruction, or frequency change. Then, once the freq changes, you have to make sure you contact the new controller on the new frequency. Just as in the real world, if you don't, things will quickly go south. As far as being cleared to a runway, if you don't like the runway that ATC assigns you, Ctrl-Shift-W and ask for a runway change.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:34 am

Yes, I know all that of course. The 'two pilot' thing was simply because I nearly always fly large jets in X-Plane and was thinking Boeing/Airbus...

If you look at one or two other threads here you will see that there is an issue of ATC instructions not being spoken, or appearing on the ATC log window. I can't recall the thread title as I write this, I can search for it if you don't find it. In this case, the problem probably was indeed caused by my missing a change in frequency.
Quote:
As far as being cleared to a runway, if you don't like the runway that ATC assigns you, Ctrl-Shift-W and ask for a runway change.
Yes, again, that is known and is what I do, and I would go back to using Mode 2 - if Dave can exclude the arrival runway clearance from an automatic pilot reply, or at least include an option somewhere to do so. Otherwise of course, the pilot confirms, then immediately changes his mind, every time. It's perhaps only a 'cosmetic' thing, but in X-Plane, where I set up detailed SIDs and STARs for all my flights, needing to change runway (rather than change all the SIDs and STARs that were laboriously set up before the flight) is a far easier option. In the real world, I know pilots may choose to change all their arrival data in the FMC, rather than ask ATC for a different runway, but as I have all my X-Plane flight plans saved with specific SIDs/STARs, asking for a runway change is by far my preferred option.

Martin

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:31 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:34 am
Yes, I know all that of course. The 'two pilot' thing was simply because I nearly always fly large jets in X-Plane and was thinking Boeing/Airbus...

If you look at one or two other threads here you will see that there is an issue of ATC instructions not being spoken, or appearing on the ATC log window. I can't recall the thread title as I write this, I can search for it if you don't find it. In this case, the problem probably was indeed caused by my missing a change in frequency.
Quote:
As far as being cleared to a runway, if you don't like the runway that ATC assigns you, Ctrl-Shift-W and ask for a runway change.
Yes, again, that is known and is what I do, and I would go back to using Mode 2 - if Dave can exclude the arrival runway clearance from an automatic pilot reply, or at least include an option somewhere to do so. Otherwise of course, the pilot confirms, then immediately changes his mind, every time. It's perhaps only a 'cosmetic' thing, but in X-Plane, where I set up detailed SIDs and STARs for all my flights, needing to change runway (rather than change all the SIDs and STARs that were laboriously set up before the flight) is a far easier option. In the real world, I know pilots may choose to change all their arrival data in the FMC, rather than ask ATC for a different runway, but as I have all my X-Plane flight plans saved with specific SIDs/STARs, asking for a runway change is by far my preferred option.

Martin
How can you save a sid and star and runway prior to the flight when you don't know the weather at the time of the flight, unless you use the same weather every time you fly? I use Active Sky real weather in P3D, and the weather is constantly changing which of course changes everything, just as it would it real life.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:03 pm

This is X-Plane 11, not FS9, as you can read in the last few posts I made. The weather is set up before I begin the flight. I choose not use real-world weather is X_Plane (though I used the same addons as you when I used FS9). That does not mean that weather is the same every time I fly of course - wind direction, turbulence, QNH and amny other factors can be set prior to loading the flight.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: