OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC strange behaviour

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
martinlest
Post subject: Re: ATC strange behaviour
Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 am

Do you use the Communications window, where the ATC instructions appear in text form? I can see from that that I have not missed any instructions, so I would think that the same will apply to you.

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Mon May 28, 2018 9:50 am
Do you use the Communications window, where the ATC instructions appear in text form? I can see from that that I have not missed any instructions, so I would think that the same will apply to you.
Yes. I did check that , and it showed I didn't miss any instructions when I did have a problem.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:58 pm

I have done three flights with Mode 1 now, and zero problems. I suspect that even though the commands from ATC show up in the say it again log, if the pilot misses an acknowledgement, after the command, that is what causes a problem. With a great deal of AI traffic and communications, sometimes it is easy to forget to acknowledge the command after you change a setting in the aircraft. That is probably why this problem never shows up in Mode 2, since the ack is always made after the command by ATC is issued. ( Just a theory)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:10 pm

Not convinced.. I am fairly sure that I didn't miss any instruction to climb, or change frequency. All ATC instructions appear in the communications log, and no such missed instruction is ever present.

And even if one did miss something, why does ATC tell you to go back to the previous flight level when you do start to ascend? Makes no sense. I think best wait till Dave can look at the logs... if it is 'user induced', at least we will know what to do/not do in the future. If it's PF3's doing, then I am sure he will issue a fix with the next update.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:04 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 pm
I am afraid this is still happening. I am cleared to a certain flight level, then no more instructions to ascend (the whole flight, if I leave it). After a time I check in with ATC, and the pilot voice says (in this case) 'Out of Flight Level 210 for Flight Level 350'. ATC: 'Roger...'. No such instruction to climb has been given however (verified by onscreen ATC Communication Log).

I took a more careful look at your log for the YSCB-YMHB flight. The log shows you were handed to Control at 20:07:54 (and the frequency was changed at that time):
Quote:
20/05/2018 20:07:54: 950 - Transcript: 'Quantas 7385 Contact CONTROL on 129.5 '
but according to the log your first check-in with Control was at 20:16:06:
Quote:
20/05/2018 20:16:06: 760 - Transcript: 'CONTROL Quantas 7385 with you out of Flight Level 210 for Flight Level 350 '
The log shows no use of hotkey 0 or check-in between those times. At 20:12:21 Control told you to resume own navigation (you were tuned to the correct frequency) and you responded, but there was still no check-in until 20:16:06. The lack of a check-in before you reached your first clearance altitude may be the reason for the missing climb instructions. Maybe for some reason your check-in hotkey wasn't detected. Be sure to check in and get a response from ATC. (This would also explain why there are no problems when using Mode 2.)

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:13 pm

I'll keep testing this... I don't see how I could be more vigilant, I have replied to everything that came up on the COM window in good time, (I thought), but I'll double/triple check. May just opt for Mode 2 after I take off if I can't 'fix' this... not the end of the world.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 am

One thing I forgot to mention: In Modes 0 and 1 there is a known bug whereby Departure will respond as soon as the frequency is changed to Departure frequency, without the need to check in first by pressing hotkey 0. This is a bug and has been discussed on the Beta forum, and will hopefully be fixed at some point. This only affects contact with Departure, and for the other frequencies (including handoffs to Center/Control) you need to be sure to press hotkey 0 to check in after being handed off. (This does not apply when using Mode 2 or 3.)

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:40 am

Yes, there is also the bug in Mode 1 (not sure about 0) that ATC assigns an arrival runway and the pilot goes right ahead and confirms it, with no user input. If you want to change runway, you have to ask (but I now can't, as per this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2893

Dave M knows about this and said it'll be fixed in the next update.

I think until some definitive explanation comes from Dave, I am going to switch to Mode 2 after take-off. No point keeping to Mode 1 after that, given that the pilot acknowledges the landing runway automatically, I intermittently get this 'no climb instructions from ATC' problem, and change arrival runway isn't working (and it did up until 2 or 3 weeks ago, which deepens the mystery! I can't suddenly have become more careless in that short time!).

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:46 pm

I did over a half dozen short flights yesterday with Mode 1, making sure I acknowledged as well as contacting new controller when freq was switched, and had zero problems. I am now convinced that the problem with instructions stopping that I had a few times , in Mode 1 was pilot error on my part.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 pm

Well, that would be good, to know where the problem lies, but I have also run a dozen or so flights with no issue, and then the same thing happens all of a sudden. Looking at the communication log on those occasions, no change of frequency was issued that I didn't act upon (I know, because my reply very shortly after is also there to read) and certainly no climb instruction. But I'll keep going with the 'tests'.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 5  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: