OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC strange behaviour

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
martinlest
Post subject: ATC strange behaviour
Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi. Just wondering if you can work out from the log what is going wrong. When I fly with this B777 (XP), firstly, no matter what mode I choose, the frequencies do not automatically change, I have to set each one manually. That's not a huge problem in itself (except that I am used to this happening to keep getting 'caught out'!).

However, as happened occasionally with some FS9 aircraft, after reaching my first assigned altitude (5000 here). ATC doesn't ask me to climb higher. I have tried this on a number of flights and I am left at that first, low altitude for the whole flight if I leave it. If, after a time, I check in with ATC manually, the pilot reports 'out of 5000 for 33000'... but if I climb towards 33000', I am soon told by ATC to maintain 5000.

Any way to 'fix' this? Thanks.

Martin

(Still getting 'maintain heading 360' (or whatever) error BTW.. after which ATC goes quiet for the rest of the flight. I think this is due to be fixed in an upcoming update?).

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(415.02 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

Profile Quote
martinlest
Post subject: Re: ATC strange behaviour
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Is the problem possibly that I missed changing the ATC frequency at one stage and things got out of sync? Especially after take-off there's a lot going on for one pilot and getting to the radio to change the frequency manually doesn't always happen in time.

Maybe for now I should stick to the basic COMM mode, where there's no auto reply by the VCP.

If the automatic frequency change can be made to work in this a/c, great. Having one a/c that behaves differently from the rest can cause mistakes if you're not 100% 'on the ball' 100% of the time!

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:16 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Is the problem possibly that I missed changing the ATC frequency at one stage and things got out of sync? Especially after take-off there's a lot going on for one pilot and getting to the radio to change the frequency manually doesn't always happen in time.
There was a five-minute lapse between the time you were told to contact Departure and the time you did so, and that may well have thrown the altitude routine out of sync.
Quote:
04/04/2018 21:44:24: 980 - Transcript: 'Saudia 773 Contact departure on 123.6 '
04/04/2018 21:49:39: 160 - Transcript: 'Departure Saudia 773 Out of 5 thousand for Flight Level 330 '
It looks like the comm frequency did not change to Departure until just before you made contact, so if the comm frequency changes will not work with this particular third-party aircraft you may need to do it manually.

Quote:
(Still getting 'maintain heading 360' (or whatever) error BTW.. after which ATC goes quiet for the rest of the flight. I think this is due to be fixed in an upcoming update?).
I think this bug occurs in rare situations, after you have received clearance for an approach at pilot's discretion. See the following for a workaround until it gets fixed:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2808#p17149

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Thanks. I flew another flight with this a/c and it is sure that PF3 is unable to change the radio frequencies. So, if I remember to leave PF3 on Mode 0 or Mode 1, there shouldn't be too much of a problem - so long as I remember to switch the radios myself.

As for the 'maintain heading' issue (that was my thread you linked to - I hadn't seen the workaround you posted: I often find that ATC never replies after I get the maintain heading instruction, but I'll give it a go) - I guess Dave M is going to deal with it in the next update... (any idea when that might be?).

Martin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:56 pm

I am afraid this is still happening. I am cleared to a certain flight level, then no more instructions to ascend (the whole flight, if I leave it). After a time I check in with ATC, and the pilot voice says (in this case) 'Out of Flight Level 210 for Flight Level 350'. ATC: 'Roger...'. No such instruction to climb has been given however (verified by onscreen ATC Communication Log). If I start to climb (I tried FL220), it isn't long before ATC tells me to mainatin the previous altitude (FL210 here). So when this error occurs I always have to continue the flight at the lower altitude, or I am nagged to descend the whole flight.

The radio is set correctly to the last given frequency (I use Mode 1 now)...

It's not the a/c (as suggested above), as I can fly several flights in the same plane with no such problem (the a/c will change frequencies in Mode 2 as well), then all of a sudden...

I hope the log will give some idea of what is happening. I can't see that it is my error, since I do the same thing pretty much every flight - and this problem doesn't occur every time. In any case, apart from forgetting to change radio frequency in Mode 1, there doesn't seem to be much that one can do wrong from a user's point of view. If there is an instruction to change frequencies that didn't happen, then like the climb instruction, it was never spoken (and did not appear in the COMM log) - I was very careful.

(My descent instructions seemed late, but they did come, so maybe I 'panicked' and starting doing turns to descend too early).

Seems like a bug to me ???

Thanks

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 186 times

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Is there any progress on this please? The problem is still spoiling way too many flights - I now just switch radio frequencies to something 'non-existent' and fly with no PF3 at all.

This fellow seems to have the same issue:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2894&p=17590#p17590

He says that he must have missed something in Mode 1, but that is not the case I think - as I said, I have been very careful the past few flights, and if there is an instruction being missed, it must be because it is neither spoken nor coming up on the Remote Text utility.

I have more log files saved recording this issue, should they be needed, (but I have posted two already). Thank you.

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:06 pm

I flew your flight YSCB-YMHB using the same flight plan and Mode 1 and did not experience the problem. Immediately after "Resume own navigation" (SID clearance altitude reached) I was cleared to continue climbing, which does not appear to have happened in your case, so I'm afraid we will have to wait for Dave to take a look at it.

Last edited by Dan77 on Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:08 pm

I am having the same problem with Mode 1. Gong back to mode 2 which always works.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Quote:
I flew your flight YSCB-YMHB using the same flight plan and Mode 1 and did not experience the problem
After my last flight failed (or at least PF3 did), VGHS TO VTBS, I stopped it, rebooted and began again. Same flight, same plane, same files, same PF3 mode (1)... this time PF3 is giving me climb instructions just fine, though AFAIK all the parameters are identical. So may not be possible to reproduce this reliably.
Quote:
I am having the same problem with Mode 1. Gong back to mode 2 which always works.
Hope Dave can identify something from the logs, I have got used to Mode 1 now and don't want to switch back...

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:59 pm

Well, I am back to mode 1 again and watching it like a hawk, with eyes and ears. I think I may be missing a command when I have issues. Not sure, will report back what I find. Sp fr, on two flights, no problems.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: