OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:30 am 

Let me say that over the past several months learning and using PF3, I've found it to be vastly more flexible and superior to the other options I have tried. Perhaps the biggest shortcoming, however, that I have seen is the lack of en-route hand offs/frequency changes when flying within the same Center. For instance, I do a lot of flights between the northeastern USA and Florida, and with the other products I have used (particularly the default ATC and VoxATC), you will encounter several several frequency changes along the way, sometimes every couple of minutes, particularly in this case within Washington and Jacksonville Centers. While I am of course ignorant to the intricacies involved, would it be possible to have PF3 read the default ATC boundaries or use what is provided with fsAeroData, etc.? It seems as though these other products have been able to pull this data in.

Another minor issue is the ATC boundaries don't always follow their real-world boundaries. For instance, I was once flying cross-country from the US west coast to the east coast with a flight plan that clipped Toronto Center near Detroit (I forget the waypoints, but it was something like DXO - KEEHO) and I was never handed off from Cleveland Center.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:59 am 

Some control centers do have sub-sectors (Atlanta, Toronto, Montreal, London, Amsterdam, Brussels, and others). As far as getting control sector data from other sources, I guess it would be up to Dave to see whether it might be a possibility for future program versions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 am 

Not a solution for your problem, just some comments:
After loading a flightplan foobar.pln, the directory PF3/Flight/FPP/ will contain a file named foobar.json, which you can view e.g. on http://geojson.io
It contains the sector/center boundaries used in your flight plan, so you can see how they match the real world (or not).

PF3/Data/CenterSectors.dat contains a CSV list of sector/center boundaries. This file is the only source PF3 currently uses. If you change it, make sure to make backups, because subsequent upgrades of PF3 will overwrite it.
Maybe you can adjust it for your region and provide the changes here, so Dave can include them in the next PF3 update?