OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Unable to contact Tower after approach handoff

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
ScottecLEMG
Post subject: Unable to contact Tower after approach handoff
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm

Guys

Just completed flight EK28 - EGPF-OMDB. Everything was good, with SID on departure and comms almost all the way to OMDB. I was told to contact tower once established on the procedure (RNAV approach RWY 30L). However, I changed frequency, pressed Zero (0) to establish contact but got no reply. I could hear all the other traffic on finals but I had to land and also taxi to the gate without instructions.

I have attached the debug_monitor.zip. Let me know if you need anything further.

Thanks and regards

Ken

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 164 times

Ken Brattey

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Unable to contact Tower after approach handoff
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:10 pm

ScottecLEMG wrote: *  Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm
However, I changed frequency, pressed Zero (0) to establish contact but got no reply.
On Tower frequency, hotkey 1 is used to check in for landing (if you are doing it manually). Zero is used to request taxi to runway (for departure) at airports where there is no Ground frequency. See the list of hotkey functions in the PF3 Display utility. You can also use a text editor to open the pf3_disp.dat file (in the PF3\PF3_Displayer folder) and print a hard copy if you wish.

Good call on your part to manually contact Tower when doing an RNAV approach. In some cases the approach lines up with the runway too close to the airport for the frequency change and Tower contact to occur automatically, even when using CP Mode 2. If you are lined up with the runway far enough out (maybe 6+ miles or so) the frequency change and Tower contact should occur automatically if you have the CP set to do so.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ScottecLEMG
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:16 pm

I was using CP2 as I always tend to do,¡. I think the confusion happens then the approach controller says to contact tower once established on the procedure. When CP2 is handling all the other comms (changes in the air etc) everything is OK but I guess CP2 had no way of knowing that you are on the procedure.

So, next time I need to press hot key 1 for Tower, I will print off the hot key list for handy reference.

Thanks for the info. Still going through a learning curve after using a previous ATC programme.

Brgds
Ken

Ken Brattey

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:20 pm

I think the instruction is meant as contact Tower when established on final, as it happens when you are lined up. PF3 does not know if you are established on a procedure (other than being lined up with the runway).

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: