OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC Vector Issue

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
chevy83
Post subject: ATC Vector Issue
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Developers,Admins, SMEs,

I am having a vector issue with the ATC. It is vectoring me out 30NM away from the last way point to the airport to align me of the FAF. I am not sure if this is a FAF setting or a waypoint issue. The waypoint was at least 20NM from the airport. I have attached a graphic to show what exactly is going on. I am trying to set up a more realistic Post-STAR radar vector point, but it's vectoring me away from the airport costing me fuel and time.

NOTE: The route indicated is not a hold but the route the ATC vectored me. No hold was indicated or programed into the FMS.

Attachments
[ attachment ]
PFE3 Vector issue.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 3094 times

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: ATC Vector Issue
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Please zip and attach the debug_monitor.log file (located in your PF3\Logs folder) as it provides information we need to see your settings as well as what happened during your most recent flight.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:29 pm

Besides the issue you reported, I'm curious about the "42 pilots flying" label on your screenshot.
Is this something like FSTrackers where you can track your flights and see live and historic flights from other users?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Actually you should be vectored to TITPO which is 16DME. Therefore 2nm inside an 18 nm arc to allow for turning. So to be vectored 20nm is pretty much spot on. To be vectored 30nm suggests your settings are a bit over the mark. That's why we need to see the logs.
Quote:
No hold was indicated or programed into the FMS.
If you do programme a hold into the FMC you also have to tell PF3 where to hold you and at what percentage of probability. As it hasn't a clue of what you programme into the FMC.
[ attachment ]
pn.jpg (56.71 KiB) Viewed 3080 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
chevy83
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:12 am

ZIP files attached. I hope this is purely operator error or a setting I may have goofed up. I do appreciate the time you guys take to look into it.

@vololiberista, to break down what happen during the flight: I pretty much continued on all the way (w/o ATC intervention) until I passed TITPO before the ATC vectored me on a course 235 degrees away from the airport. I had to "request clearance to final" in order to turn around and head back to the airport to land.

Attachments
ATC Vector Issue.zip
(795.57 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Profile Quote
chevy83
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 am

@ThomasAH, its Air Hauler 2. Thats what the AH2 radar is picking up on users currently flying.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 am
Site Admin

Checking the log it looks to me as if everything was working perfectly... due to the angle from which you approached the airport (determined by your flight plan) and the active runway, PF3 was vectoring you directly toward the FAF. When you requested 'cleared to final' you were still 10NM from the FAF, so had you been a little more patient everything would have panned out. However, requesting 'cleared to final' is okay and the best thing to do if you're getting low on fuel or simply fed up waiting! :D

When I first checked I must admit I thought the FAF fix seemed a long way out and then I noticed you've changed your setting to 30 miles... PF3 uses this figure times 1.25 which placed the FAF fix at approximately 38 NM. The default setting is 7 NM which PF3 calculates to 9 miles. I have mine set to 8 miles which PF3 calculates at 10 NM.

Whilst it's perfectly okay to have the FAF set to 30 miles it obviously does mean that your approach vectoring pattern is going to cover a much wider area and take that much longer, so if you are concerned about time/fuel I would suggest you reduce this considerably.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am

dmarch wrote: *  Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 am
When I first checked I must admit I thought the FAF fix seemed a long way out and then I noticed you've changed your setting to 30 miles...
Agree that your FAF setting is likely the cause. A setting of 30 will result in a very (unnecessarily) long downwind. I have mine set at 9 and that allows plenty of room.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Dan77 wrote: *  Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:32 am
dmarch wrote: *  Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:56 am
When I first checked I must admit I thought the FAF fix seemed a long way out and then I noticed you've changed your setting to 30 miles...
Agree that your FAF setting is likely the cause. A setting of 30 will result in a very (unnecessarily) long downwind. I have mine set at 9 and that allows plenty of room.
The actual FAF for TITPO is 15NM so according to Dave's calculations your FAF "for this airport approach" would be 12nm. And make sure you have set the FAF altitude for VDPP to 3,500ft.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:47 pm

chevy83 wrote: *  Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 am
@ThomasAH, its Air Hauler 2. Thats what the AH2 radar is picking up on users currently flying.
Ah, thanks. That's a nice software, but a bit more than I am looking for.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: