OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Runway conflicts. Who is to blame (and what to do)?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
TheDuke
Post subject: Runway conflicts. Who is to blame (and what to do)?
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 am

Hi,

My config:
PC i7-960 with (among other): P3Dv3.4, UTLive, Majestic Q400
Networked notebook with (among other): AS16-ASCA, PF3 (ATC)

It happens frequently, that while I'm on final, an AI aircraft lines up and takes off. Sometimes we are both on the same runway. Or... After I landed and still on the runway, AI aircraft takes off and flies overhead while I'm still rolling out on the runway. Or... I get takeoff clearence from ATC while there is an AI aircraft that landed still rolling out on the runway.

Long ago, with other software: FSX, MyTraffic, and Radar Contact, that NEVER happened.

So my question is: WHO IS TO BLAME?
Is it P3D? Is it UTLive? Is it PF3? Or is it the way the MJC Q400 uses P3D? Or is it just the PC that can't handle the workload?

Who can shine a light on this?

Dirk

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 2*HDD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.1; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.1, PF3 ATC.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Runway conflicts. Who is to blame (and what to do)?
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:03 am
Site Admin

Well it can only be PF3 and it's basically down to either timing, the AFCAD in use, bad luck or all of them!

PF3 freezes ground AI traffic when you're on approach but only at a certain point in your flight... obviously it won't freeze any aircraft that is on the runway or has been given takeoff clearance, for obvious reasons. It will also slow down traffic behind you whilst on approach, subject to certain criteria being met, in an attempt to help with separation.

One of the problems of course is PF3 does not control Ai traffic... that is done by FS and so we don't actually calculate where all AI traffic are in relation to you of the active runway (although there are certain times we do re the runway) and we simply go by a flag setting, read from FSUIPC, as to the current mode of the aircraft. i.e. Taking off, landing, rolling out, taxiing, etc, etc. So as I say, it could simply be bad luck with timing issues where as if you had arrived at a certain position 1 second later or earlier the problem would not have arisen.

Sorry I can't be more precise and as you can imagine it would be very difficult to ascertain the cause of any one particular AI traffic related issue, although I'd be happy to try if you provide a log and as much detail as possible when any such problem arises again.

I believe, by and large, PF3's handling of AI traffic works well but it's not perfect. I've always tried to ensure something silly doesn't happen... like freezing an aircraft actually on the runway whilst you're on approach which, given a bit more time would probably have taken off before you actual land. But it's a tricky one to get right.

Having said all that I have been saying for some time that I intend to revisit AI traffic monitoring and interaction but I'm not making any promises as to when that might be.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm

TheDuke wrote: *  Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 am
Hi,

My config:
PC i7-960 with (among other): P3Dv3.4, UTLive, Majestic Q400
Networked notebook with (among other): AS16-ASCA, PF3 (ATC)

It happens frequently, that while I'm on final, an AI aircraft lines up and takes off. Sometimes we are both on the same runway. Or... After I landed and still on the runway, AI aircraft takes off and flies overhead while I'm still rolling out on the runway. Or... I get takeoff clearence from ATC while there is an AI aircraft that landed still rolling out on the runway.

Long ago, with other software: FSX, MyTraffic, and Radar Contact, that NEVER happened.

So my question is: WHO IS TO BLAME?
Is it P3D? Is it UTLive? Is it PF3? Or is it the way the MJC Q400 uses P3D? Or is it just the PC that can't handle the workload?

Who can shine a light on this?

Dirk
Do you have "Use Conflict Monitor" activated in the Advanced Options?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

The last time it happened, was at ENTO with Aerosoft ENTO scenery (FSX converted with the Estonian tool to P3D). That was with an AI close behind me on the same approach until I cancelled it in UTLive (Ctrl+Shft+a cleares the approach). That could be an AFCAD issue. But it happened several time on other airports in Norway (with the free Airports of Norway scenery). And... at EKCH (PF3 default which is rather complex) where the AI was not clear of the active while I was given Takeoff clearence by PF3.

It happens often, so it I don't think it is just 'bad luck'. But nice to know how PF3 handles AI. An approach makes my hardware being very busy (sometimes the scenery is blurred as well) and PF3 might be lazy on updating FSUIPC. I don't know. It can't be a performance issue for PF3 (I think) because that runs on my notebook, unless commmunications causes the issues.

Next time it happens I will upload the logfiles. Maybe that shines more light on this.

Dirk

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 2*HDD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.1; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.1, PF3 ATC.

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 am

TheDuke wrote: *  Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am
... and PF3 might be lazy on updating FSUIPC.
I mean P3D instead of PF3, of course

Dirk

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:10 am

RALF9636 wrote: *  Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:52 pm
Do you have "Use Conflict Monitor" activated in the Advanced Options?
Yes, I have.

Dirk

Profile Quote
bobsk8
Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm

If you have Paid FSUIPC you can activate Traffic Zapper. Any AI in front of you on approach can be zapped.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:35 am

bobsk8 wrote: *  Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm
If you have Paid FSUIPC you can activate Traffic Zapper. Any AI in front of you on approach can be zapped.
Thanks Bob. I'll give that a try. That leaves me with AI behind me trying to pass me on final and (what happened yesterday) AI landing on another runway that crosses mine while I'm on short final. It was a long STAR so maybe PF3 was not aware of the other AI at the start of the STAR. Which brings me to the need that PF3 should 'know' at least the length of a STAR. If it was only for speed instructions that come in too early on longer STARs.

It looks to me as if this is a communications problem that might only happen in a networked configuration.

Dirk

Profile Quote
pete_auau
Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 pm

TheDuke wrote: *  Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:35 am
bobsk8 wrote: *  Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:37 pm
Thanks Bob. I'll give that a try. That leaves me with AI behind me trying to pass me on final and (what happened yesterday)

Dirk
Only option is to use your review mirrors see anyone behind you, sway in front so they cant pass or speed up :D :lol:

windows 7, using fsx with acceleration pack

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: