OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Question about runway selection and push & start.

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
7X7VirtualPilot
Post subject: Question about runway selection and push & start.
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

I'm a sucker for 'trying' to do flight sim the way the airlines actually fly, within the confines of the software. First off, I am the PF. The PF doesn't man the coms, that is the function of the PM (or PNF if you will). This is what drew me to PF3. Using a combination of FS2Crew and PF3, I can be the PF and using CP Mode 2 (CP Mode 3 is being too lazy :) ) and allow the PM to do the busy work. But since the PM is virtual, they can't interact with VATSIM, so again, PF3 is the key and PF3 covers all ATC all the time everywhere. Please don't misunderstand, VATSIM is awesome but the pilot flying a T7 has his hands busy flying, there really is a reason to have a PM! Given all this, I have a question about runway selection. I don't see a way without rigging the runways by knowing which runway will be chosen in advance.

Case in point. Today I flew from KIAD to EGLL. My question. does one have to 'game' the system, in other words, set up a runway, say as 'B'oth and have the other runways set up to either 'L'and or 'X' at the departure airport? What I run into is which way to have the tug point the aircraft when I push. If I set up the runway RWY 01R/19L as 'B'oth, I'm pointed in the right direction as ATC will not select any other runways for departure, i.e. it won't select 01C/19C or 01L/19R or 30/12 since they were marked as either 'L'and or 'X'. The follow on question, is there any way, other than what I've outlined, to know in advance what runway will be chosen before pushback? What I've witnessed is that only at the time of taxi clearance does one find out the runway that ATC will use, which occurs after the push and thus the plane is already pointed in a direction which may or may not be the one desired, which is reason to game the system rather that having all runways be 'B'oth.

And another question, while I'm at it. Is there a way to not have the call for push and start occur immediately after the call for clearance delivery, in other words a separate event? If there is using CP Mode 2, I missed it in the documentation. I usually call for CD some 5 minutes or less before push but there are actions that happen before I'm actually ready to push.

Thought of one more question. Again, if I missed it in the documentation, shame on me. Is there a way to direct all the PF3 audio through the headsets? Or better yet, to change between the headset and speakers depending on the stage of flight?

Hope this all made sense.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
George

[ img ]

Capt George - @7x7VirtualPilot

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: Question about runway selection and push & start.
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am

That's a lot of questions! Regarding the active departure runway before push, checking PF3's ATIS may help. If AI are landing or departing, PF3 will use the same runway the AI are using. If no AI are detected, PF3 makes a runway selection based on wind. Checking PF3 ATIS may give you a good idea of what to expect, though if AI are actively using parallel runways you may not know with certainty which you will get. If you have pushed the wrong way or don't feel like taxiing for an hour to your assigned departure runway, you can always request a runway change (deactivate TGS first if it has come on and you want to request a different runway for departure).

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:19 am

7X7VirtualPilot wrote: *  Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:56 am

And another question, while I'm at it. Is there a way to not have the call for push and start occur immediately after the call for clearance delivery, in other words a separate event? If there is using CP Mode 2, I missed it in the documentation. I usually call for CD some 5 minutes or less before push but there are actions that happen before I'm actually ready to push.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
George
On this point there are plenty of airports that require you to contact them only when the ground crew are ready. So what you are asking for is swings and roundabouts really. Just make sure all your pre-flight checks are done, doors and hatches closed and the ground crew are ready. Contact ATC for your clearance then pushback. It's not uncommon in real life. It takes me a good 25 minutes to do the pre-flight for the Super VC10!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Start your session in VCP mode 1 and switch to VCP mode 2 after confirming the taxi clearance.

That way you avoid the immediate request for the pushback and you don't need to deactivate TGS if you want a different runway for takeoff. Just request the different runway before reading back the taxi clearance. TGS gets activated only after the readback of the taxi clearance.

Alternatively instead of having two First Officers (one by FS2Crew and one by PF3) have a look at Multi Crew Experience. The First Officer by MCE can both handle the aircraft (you can set it up to act exactly like FS2Crew - but it can do much more) and the PF3-ATC. You'll only have one FO-voice, not two different ones talking over each other at times. You can also switch the ATC by saying "I have ATC" or "You have ATC". You can tell your FO when to make a request or you can do it yourself and have him read back the clearance - or any way you like it.

Regarding the sound output look here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2415&start=30

[ img ]

Profile Quote
7X7VirtualPilot
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks for the many replies. After seeing the suggestions, I think that my gaming the system is the most practical. I don't care which end of a particular runway I'm directed to, just don't want to point to a wrong runway. Am aware of ATIS (I check it as a matter of course) and know that AI will likely choose the correct runway, unless there are parallel runways. I have checked a feature of ActiveSky2016 that forces a wind of, if I remember, 6kts even if it is less, so the AI makes a consistent choice. Ran into a windshift the other day when nearing the take-off runway and couldn't figure how to, at that point, tell ATC, that now PF3 and the AI are now out of sync. But that is a very minor problem.

In the US at least, the CD and pushback is very often a few minutes apart (I listen to a lot of LiveATC). So my wish is that as I have to push '0' to call CD, I also have to push '0' when ready to pushback (the PM will have already dialed the COM freq). And one last time when ready to taxi.

I have MCE but for the plane I fly most of the time, the PMDG 777, FS2Crew does a great job managing the systems in a very realistic manner, including using the ECL. I have selected a voice from PF3 that is nearly identical to the FS2Crew voice so I really don't notice a difference. IMHO, MCE is great for non-commercial flight sim, less so, again IMO, for specific commercial planes. Personal preference.

For the voice to be redirected, I'll wait for the feature to be added. Am now addon adverse! :lol:

Cheers,
George

[ img ]

Capt George - @7x7VirtualPilot

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: