OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Departure runways, user & AI traffic

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Locked   Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: Departure runways, user & AI traffic
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:23 am

Sorry, I know this has been mentioned at least once before, but I can't locate the thread....

Wondering what the best way might be, if any, to prevent ATC sending my a/c to one end of a runway whilst at the same time sending all AI traffic to the other. At ZSPD, I have just been given Rwy 35R, whereas all other planes are being directed to 17L, so we meet head on. Wind is around 195 degs, so 17L (where the AI traffic is going) would appear about correct, no?

Log attached, just in case.

Thank you,

Martin

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(62.49 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Dave March
Post subject: Re: Departure runways, user & AI traffic
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:32 pm
Site Admin

Well each time PF3 checked it found AI traffic using a runway and didn't have to use wind direction at all....
04/07/2017 11:02:09: 290 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 34-1
04/07/2017 11:02:09: 290 - Runway 34 1 is being used by AI Traffic! #A
04/07/2017 11:02:09: 290 - Active Runway is set to 34 - Left
04/07/2017 11:11:03: 620 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 35-2
04/07/2017 11:11:03: 620 - Runway 35 2 is being used by AI Traffic! #A
04/07/2017 11:11:03: 620 - Active Runway is set to 35 - Right
And when you first tuned to ATIS AI trafic was detected using multiple runways...
04/07/2017 11:01:02: 980 - ATIS Weather retrieved for ZSPD using the ICAO
04/07/2017 11:01:05: 710 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 34-1
04/07/2017 11:01:05: 710 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 35-2
04/07/2017 11:01:05: 710 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 17-1
04/07/2017 11:01:05: 710 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 16-2

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

martinlest
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Is that down to FS9 ATC then, that opposite ends of the runway are used at the same time?

The latest 'sweep' you post shows:

04/07/2017 11:11:03: 620 - #1 Initial sweep shows AI using runway 35-2

but in the sim all AI traffic was being sent to Runway 17. I don't really understand the discrepency Dave..

Thanks

Dave March
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:50 pm
Site Admin

Well it's FS that controls AI traffic. As you can see by the sweep when you tune to ATIS AI were detected using 34L, 35R, 17L and 16R

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Dan77
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:58 pm

I've also taken a look at the log. I would make certain that you turn AI off completely (0%) when you start the sim and then do not set the AI to the desired level until you are absolutely certain the weather is fully loaded and the wind is stable. I think what may be happening is that FS starts up with calm winds (360 at 3) and if you have AI turned on at the start, they may begin landing and departing north. Then when the weather loads and winds are from the south, you have a mess. Keep the AI at 0% until the weather is fully loaded. If you have wind-smoothing enabled it will take longer (possibly several minutes) for the wind to turn round to the correct direction when loading the weather, as you are restricting the change to xx degrees per second, for example.

If you wait until the weather is fully loaded and the wind stable before raising the AI from 0%, and you still have AI landing and departing in opposite directions, then your sim (or AFCAD) has a more serious problem than I can fix! :)

Dan

[ img ]

vololiberista
Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:07 pm

The sim plays catch-up with AI. I believe any AI with a departure or arrival time between 15-30 minutes of the sim start time. They all bunch together. Some will have the direction of the default weather and some may have the direction according to the weather engine assuming the weather engine has injected its weather expeditiously. So it's never a good idea to be in too much of a hurry to take-off. Some weather engines allow you to "refresh" AI. This tries to make AI follow the weather engine and not the start-up default weather. Though any AI "already" on final approach or taxiing to a specific rwy won't be changed. You should always, start the sim, start the weather engine, check QNH conforms on your a/c instruments and then start PF3. That usually gives time for AI to settle down assuming you have also "refreshed" it.

If you're in the habit of leaping into an a/c and taking-off as if it were a car then this is always going to be a problem at busy airports especially with multiple runways. And PF3 is as much a victim as you are. If you spend time doing check-lists before contacting Clearance Delivery this gives time for the weather engine to update and by the time you are ready to contact clearance having immediately previously tuned to ATIS this will be less of a problem because by then the AI backlog will have been cleared by default ATC. Idealy one should spend up to 20-30 minutes doing the pre-flight checks. But even if you fast track the checks leaving about 10 minutes before you are ready that is usually enough time unless your weather engine is set to update less frequently.

[ img ]

martinlest
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Quote:
If you're in the habit of leaping into an a/c and taking-off as if it were a car
:shock: You always seem to have such a low opinion of FS/PF3 users: no, I am not at all in that habit; I use FS sensibly, 'realistically'. By the time I run FDC checklists, set up FMCs and often a host of other cockpit preparations, load passengers and baggage (and possibly clean, restock the larders and refuel with AES), run FDSFX for cabin messages etc. etc. it's usually at least 15 minutes, often longer, before I am ready to taxi off the apron.

The problem is more with departures than arrivals: what usually happens is that (as just this minute), ATC is telling me to go to Rwy 27 but at the same time telling other traffic to go to Rwy 09, seemingly concurrently.

Yes, I guess I can try setting my startup AI to 0% at startup, and/or always refreshing AI Traffic in the weather engines I use...

Thanks.

Dave March
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:00 pm
Site Admin

Please attach the log for this flight

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

vololiberista
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:08 pm

martinlest wrote: *  Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:23 pm
Quote:
If you're in the habit of leaping into an a/c and taking-off as if it were a car
:shock: You always seem to have such a low opinion of FS/PF3 users: no, I am not at all in that habit;
Martin enough of the bad mouthing please. It is to stop right here and now!
There are many many simmers who use the sims to do just that. Jump in and fly off. Plus there are many developers who only create a/c for that purpose. Not every developer goes to the lengths of PMDG.
We will look at your logs. But the points I have made earlier are absolutely valid. That is what the sim does with AI. And my recommendations will avoid the worst of it.

[ img ]

martinlest
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:30 pm

I have supported Dave M, with no small amount of beta testing as well as buying all the OnCourse products and updates (and latterly praising-cum-'advertising' the products where I can on other forums), since well before FDC or PFE were available and I do not appreciate the comments about people that you are all too often wont to make on these forums. Either I stop coming here or, as I have asked before, you just ignore my posts. There is a long history of your insinuating that people (and by no means just me), about whom you know nothing, are, in so many words, ignorant and don't know how to use FS or the OnCourse software - 'if you will taxi round an airport like a madman' and 'if you're in the habit of leaping into an a/c and taking-off as if it were a car'.. and so on and so forth. Why do you imagine that people who come here are simpletons? There are some who are less experienced but you are just going to irritate people (I have had PMs to show that I am not alone in this opinion) with this patronising attitude. In any case, my introductory comment was tongue in cheek, with emoticon, hardly 'badmouthing'...

If Dave M wants me to stop posting here, because he agrees with you, so be it (you only need to let me know Dave) - I already took a long, long break from coming to the forums earlier this year solely because of the tone of your answers to me. Whatever, I repeat, please do not reply to any of my posts yourself as I find too many of your comments, all across the forums, hugely tactless.

Remember that the people you love to patronise here are, at the end of the day, paying customers, right?

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: