OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

DATABASE UPDATE FEATURE

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Mikeyankeevictor
Post subject: DATABASE UPDATE FEATURE
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm

I find the data base update feature a bit annoying having to tick all the boxes before getting to the actual update. No doubt very good the first time you use the program, but a shortcut would be good.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: DATABASE UPDATE FEATURE
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 pm
Site Admin

What's a few ticks and how long does it really take?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 pm

dmarch wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 pm
Too many ticks, I like to have "I know what I'm doing", too :)

Luckily I don't do scenery updates that often, but PF3's DB update is one of the longer steps in my 10-step checklist for this.

Last edited by ThomasAH on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm

Mikeyankeevictor wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:02 pm
I find the data base update feature a bit annoying having to tick all the boxes before getting to the actual update. No doubt very good the first time you use the program, but a shortcut would be good.
Why do you think those check boxes are there? For a good and obvious reason I would say! Just pause and think why. If you know your makerwys is up to date then 3 checkboxes need to be done. I calculate less than one second. Is time so desperately important for you?

I can remember the old days of DOS when it would give the message Format C:\ Yes or No. Without anything further like Are you sure? Guaranteed that if there was only one checkbox there would be a flood of complaints.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:51 pm

vololiberista wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm
I can remember the old days of DOS when it would give the message Format C:\ Yes or No. Without anything further like Are you sure? Guaranteed that if there was only one checkbox there would be a flood of complaints.
I'm currently not sure: Is there a safety against throwing away the saved SID/STAR/Runway/... information with PF3's DB updates? This is I would compare to Format, but not something that can be repeated without loss of data.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:53 pm

ThomasAH wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:43 pm
dmarch wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 pm
Too many ticks, I like to have "I know what I'm doing", too :)

Luckily I don't do scenery updates that often, but PF3's DB update is one of the longer steps in my 10-step checklist for this.
As I said in my post Thomas I am it seems a rare bird in that I can "just about" find the time (one second of extra time) needed to tick three boxes. I certainly wouldn't want Dave to go back to the early days of DOS. Someone with your programming skills should understand why the extra checks are there.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:55 pm

ThomasAH wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:51 pm
vololiberista wrote: *  Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:45 pm
I'm currently not sure: Is there a safety against throwing away the saved SID/STAR/Runway/... information with PF3's DB updates? This is I would compare to Format, but not something that can be repeated without loss of data.
This was a problem with PFE and early PF3 beta versions. So far there has been no loss of data each time I have re run the database.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: