OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

cleared to FL250 and after that to 11,000

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
TheDuke
Post subject: cleared to FL250 and after that to 11,000
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:33 am

Hi,

I was on a flight from CYYR (Goose Bay) over the pond the BIKF (Keflavik).
ATC was on Gander frequency and I was cleared to FL250.
Around 14,500 ft. ATC instructed me to 11,000 and kept on telling me that.
My VCP was fully aware of the altitude I was on.
So something is wrong here.

P3Dv3.4, Majestic Q400

Dirk

Attachments
atc25jan17.zip
all atc log and flightplan
(367.04 KiB) Downloaded 187 times

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 2*HDD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.1; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.1, PF3 ATC.

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: cleared to FL250 and after that to 11,000
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Why only two waypoints on a fpl of over 1,300nm? And again from a flight planning point of view this is an off airway route. Which means you have to generate it manually. As it's also a great circle route you will need a lot more fixes. There are at least 8 that are close to the great circle. And being an over water flight they would be mandatory reporting points. When closer to BIKF you also need to add more waypoints especially approaching Keflavik airspace.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:44 pm

vololiberista wrote:
Why only two waypoints on a fpl of over 1,300nm?
It was what SimBrief gave me for a route. Before that I tried RouteFinder and that came up with an over 4K Nm route. Of course, having a route that is closer to the Great Circle route is better. But this is all I had and still I wonder why ATC acted so weird. The 11,000 Alt was what Clearance gave me in Goose Bay.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8 GHz; MSI Z270 Gaming Pro; 16 GB; Hydro H60 cooler; MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 2*SSD; 2*HDD; 32" monitor; P3D v4.1; ORBX Global, -Vector, -Europe, -Can/N-US, Chaseplane. Notebook: AS4-ASCA, AivlaSoft EFB v.1, PF3 ATC.

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:01 pm

TheDuke wrote:
vololiberista wrote:
It was what SimBrief gave me for a route. Before that I tried RouteFinder and that came up with an over 4K Nm route. Of course, having a route that is closer to the Great Circle route is better. But this is all I had and still I wonder why ATC acted so weird. The 11,000 Alt was what Clearance gave me in Goose Bay.
Because your route is off airway none of the flight plan generators will give you an acceptable route. You will always have to work it out for yourself.

Plot the great circle and then find lat/long fixes enroute plus the departure and arrival waypoints.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:15 pm

TheDuke wrote:
vololiberista wrote:
Because your route is off airway none of the flight plan generators will give you an acceptable route. You will always have to work it out for yourself.

Plot the great circle and then find lat/long fixes enroute plus the correct departure and arrival waypoints.
Try this and then if you have the same problem it will be much easier to identify. Don't forget to add the correct departure and arrival routes.
BIVMI 5557N 5655N 5850N OZN 6138N 6234N 6329N EMBLA ELDIS KEF4E VANDA VAKLO CI11

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheDuke
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks.

Before the flight I loaded the flithplan in my AivlaSoft EFB which plots the great cicle route on the enroute chart together with the route inserted. It looked to me that those two lines were reasonably 'in line' with each other. First it goes a little south and later it goes a little north of the great circle route. To my judgement that was no big deal.

A friend of mine flew a brand new B737-700 from the Boeing factory (KBFI) over Canada to EHAM in one leg and I saw a chart of his (real world) route that is also north of the NAT routes and contains between Canada's coast (MUSVA WPT) only 6450N, 6440N and 6330N. The last fix is SE of Iceland, so in fact the pro's do it with two WPTs only.

I thought that I did well with my 4 fixes, but you are right, more (WPTs) is less (distance).

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 am

TheDuke wrote:
Thanks.

Before the flight I loaded the flithplan in my AivlaSoft EFB which plots the great cicle route on the enroute chart together with the route inserted. It looked to me that those two lines were reasonably 'in line' with each other. First it goes a little south and later it goes a little north of the great circle route. To my judgement that was no big deal.

A friend of mine flew a brand new B737-700 from the Boeing factory (KBFI) over Canada to EHAM in one leg and I saw a chart of his (real world) route that is also north of the NAT routes and contains between Canada's coast (MUSVA WPT) only 6450N, 6440N and 6330N. The last fix is SE of Iceland, so in fact the pro's do it with two WPTs only.

I thought that I did well with my 4 fixes, but you are right, more (WPTs) is less (distance).
If Dave does find an anomaly then of course he can try to fix it. But it may be just a quirk with PF3 that with such long distances a few more wypts help. Try your friend's flightplan. But ensure that you have the departure and arrival fixes set up which I am sure he did to.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:51 pm

A note about your friend's flight. The fpl you quoted would actually put a lot of strain on the inertial navigation. As it drifts unless it can triangulate a fix. And in mid ocean there's not much in the way of fixes. Unless of course he took a leaf out of Ernest Shackleton's book when he sailed from Elephant Island to South Georgia having been able to make only eight fixes with a sextant due to the rough seas. A journey of almost a thousand miles.

Bring back celestial navigation! Is wot I say! (The batteries never need replacing).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 pm

vololiberista wrote:
Bring back celestial navigation! Is wot I say! (The batteries never need replacing).
There is a sextant (for FS9 and FSX), and weather ships (I think only for FSX/P3D)!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:35 am

ThomasAH wrote:
vololiberista wrote:
There is a sextant (for FS9 and FSX), and weather ships (I think only for FSX/P3D)!
I've got the sextant installed on the VC10. It can be downloaded from the avsim library.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: