OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC Alt Nag

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: ATC Alt Nag
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 pm

Can anyone confirm that this is actually still working in 3.1.18? I have it set to 90 seconds in the Options#2 screen, but the past few flights, having been 'occupied' away from FS9 (!!) and missed the descent call on a couple of occasions (!!!), what I did notice was that I don't seem to be getting any descent reminders. Any obvious reason why not?

Not sure about the heading 'nag', I haven't tested it out..

Thanks,

Martin

Profile Quote
Rustydog
Post subject: Re: ATC Alt Nag
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:16 pm

Yep I get nagged. Certainly once, not tried ignoring for longer to see if it's repeated though.

Flying Daily, sometimes twice.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:24 pm

Also note that if the descent instruction includes "at pilot's discretion" you are given double the amount of time to begin your descent. In your case that would be three minutes. From the User Guide:
Quote:
ATC Alt Nag - If you fail to start your climb/descent to your cleared
altitude within this specified time (seconds) ATC will give you a
reminder to do so. The exception to this is when told to descend at
pilot's discretion. In that scenario the time set here would be doubled.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:27 am

Thanks. The last couple of flights I've had nothing, not on the ATC log window, and the delay was much longer than 3 minutes. But could be just one of those odd things that stop working for a day or two then mysteriously come back (like the in-cockpit TGS - though that's really the other way round: it mostly doesn't work, but then lights up for a few flights before going dead again!). I'll monitor it a few days more before adding a log here..

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:29 pm

No, Alt Nag isn't working now, in my setup....

1. I was at FL380, cruise altitude. ATC instructed me to descend to FL360 'at pilot's discretion', at around time 15.15 (for log purposes), which I did. Before I reached FL360 I was instructed to descend further to FL320 (not at pilot's discretion now). I stayed at FL360 though, to see what would happen. Nothing happened, no nag at all, so after several minutes I descended to FL320. ATC instructions started again once I was descending - 'Descend to 250' came almost immediately at FL355. I stayed at FL320 for several minutes though, again to test: again, no reminder to descend to FL250. In Advanced Options I have the nag set at 90...

2. Ironically, I was nagged to 'turn to heading 125' (at 15:47), even though I was turning and had been for half a minute or so. No idea what that nag was for. Was I turning too slowly?

3. (Just a by-the-by question) I was given two runway changes (I wish PF3 would only give a maximum of one - is that possible to put into the code/options somehow? I've tweaked ActiveSky to disable winds aloft and so on, I can't see what else to do to avoid it) and thought that the last instruction was to Rwy21L. Turns out, as I descended on final, it was 21R (at LGAV). So I asked for 21R, which seemed to work, but I was instructed to "Report turning base". What is the proper response I should give to that instruction?

I attach log, but it's back at the default setting '0' now Dave, so I hope it's of some use. If not, should I leave it on Mode 2 permanently?

Thanks,

Martin

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(872.32 KiB) Downloaded 180 times

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:33 pm

Quote:
Turns out, as I descended on final, it was 21R (at LGAV). So I asked for 21L
(typo!)

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:49 pm

The ? popup says "if you fail to start your climb/descent", so it seems it does not check if you have reached the altitude, but only if you have descended at least once for at least X feet. Dave?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:14 am
Site Admin

It all depends on your VSI reading... maybe PF3 is a little to lenient... I need to add something to the log so I can check what we're reading

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:56 pm

Maybe I am misunderstanding what the alt nag is supposed to do - I just climbed over 2000' above my cruise altitude by mistake, but there was no comment from ATC about that, even after several minutes.... I was doing other things when I should have been attending to FS (bad habit!) and missed the descent instruction too - no repeat of it came up. Shouldn't there be reminders in these cases?

Can add logs if need be..

Martin

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: