OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

What is the protocol with ATC at smaller airports?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: What is the protocol with ATC at smaller airports?
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:35 pm

I am flying from PAOM to PANC. My FS9 Nome airport (William Morgan/FRF Studio) has only frequencies for CTAF, Center, FSS & ASOS. I got no response, using the '0' key, except for FSS, where I asked for my IFR flight plan to be opened. After that I was lost, couldn't choose a runway for take-off and afterwards basically flew without ATC.

Is this because there are frequencies missing at PAOM (do I need to add a Ground Frequency via PFF3?), or did I just do the wrong things? I don't often fly from these smaller airports and am used to 'full facilities'!

Thanks.

Profile Quote
martinlest
Post subject: Re: What is the protocol with ATC at smaller airports?
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Quote:
and afterwards basically flew without ATC
- until I tuned to Anchorage approach that is... ATC then instructed me to head back to Nome (to do an about turn of 180 degrees at least) - which I ignored. Confusing.

(PF3 usually brings up a message about incorrect frequencies, showing which you need to be tuned to, but nothing in this case, which makes me think something is wrong with the PAOM frequencies, rather than just my 'technique').

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:30 pm

PAOM has Multicom at 123.6, you should announce "taking the runway" (hotkey 6) when entering the runway for departure.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:40 pm

123.6 is 'CTAF'. Is that 'Multicom' in PF3 then? (I thought CTAF was just an advisory service). If so, then I see what I should have done. Thanks.

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:04 pm

martinlest wrote:
123.6 is 'CTAF'. Is that 'Multicom' in PF3 then? (I thought CTAF was just an advisory service). If so, then I see what I should have done. Thanks.
Citing Wikipedia:
Quote:
Two common CTAF allocations are UNICOM, a licensed non-government base station that provides air-to-ground communications (and vice versa) and may also serve as a CTAF when in operation, and MULTICOM, a frequency allocation (without a physical base station) that is reserved as a CTAF for airports without other facilities.
And if in doubt, check one of:
- PF3 -> Options #2 -> Add a NEW Facility Frequency -> Enter Airport ICAO -> Show FS Freq for this airport
- PF3 Displayer -> click on "Dept" at the lower border after connecting PF3 to your flight simulator

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: