OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Robot voices

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
mllgrennman
Post subject: Robot voices
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:32 am

Wow! I've been waiting for this for a long time...I missed the grace period but I was still happy to shell out over 50 bucks for it!
But I must say that some of the voices sound synthesized rather than live recordings, in comparison to PFE. Also, there is no backround noise to make it sound like pilots from a flying plane are talking from a cockpit...Is there a way to replace the new voices with the old ones...I definitely prefer them.

Thanks.

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Robot voices
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:32 am

Welcome to PF3 :-)

PF3 contains all the old voices, so if you don't like some of the new ones, you can exclude them individually.
Enable showing the voice set ids, so you know which one.

And there are radio distortions in PF3, too. They were on by default for me, so I don't know what happened with your installation.
I think there is a checkbox labeled "Simulate Radio COMs" or something like that to enable/disable this feature.
Please attach logs, so we can investigate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:37 am
Site Admin

All the voices from PFE are included in PF3, including the additional voice pack. Plus there are an extra 59 voice sets all included as standard.

The variable background noise feature is the same as in PFE but you have to turn it on and configure it to your liking.

Basically the sound system and setup is the same as in PFE but now you have more voices sets to play with. And remember if there are any you don't like you can mark themm as 'do not use'

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mllgrennman
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:45 pm

The "preview" of pilot voices sound very different than what I hear in flight. And I can't find the pilot I used in PFE in any of them...

(The backround noise I meant to say was embedded in the MP3's, no so much static but "transmitterish" rather than clean and in person.)

Plus during "preview" the same voice in pilot voice and taxi voice sound different even when both are selected to the same one...

This makes it hard to setup.

I'm using the exclude voice feature but there are many that seem much lower quality than PFE. I don't know if it's a tech issue or just my preference.

To make things simpler for now, can I delete or uninstall the extra voice pack and the 59 new voices...just to bring it back to only the original PFE choices that worked well in the past?

Thanks.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:59 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
To make things simpler for now, can I delete or uninstall the extra voice pack and the 59 new voices...just to bring it back to only the original PFE choices that worked well in the past?
Afraid not!

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm

As you probably already know the ATC voices can sound like "normal" speech or clipped as when they sound via a radio transmitter. The clipped sound is deliberate because it is easier to comprehend above all the combined sounds of the cockpit.
If you are looking for an "authentic" ATC sound then you need to check:-
1. Faster ATC Taxi Instructions
2. Faster readsback of Taxi instructions.
3. Make ATIS messages faster.
4. Radio noise vol variation
5. Simulate radio coms.
I have my radio noise volume set to about 50% but it shouldn't be lower than 30-35% otherwise the squelch would in real life actually cause breaks in the voices.

A handful of voices may still sound odd but the majority are more than acceptable. I would say that of the ATC programmes available PF3 sounds the least robotic overall and is the most compliant with FAA and ICAO procedures overall.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mllgrennman
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:23 pm

To me the real world voices are the strongest part of the program. But I find that the voices sound either very real, or very fake...some sound like Steven Hawking while others are very real life...and they are mixed together with no way to ID them except in flight...I'm using the exclude option and writing down the "bad" ones as they come.

Most of the "w"s are such the case except for a few which are great. It will take a while but I'll be able to clear them all out.

I only wish that such a fine program would not disrespect itself by even letting them in at all...I can't imagine users preferring them...But I appreciate how you make such strong efforts to please everyone...and I thank you again for the option to personalize it to my liking.

Sorry If I have a harsh tone...I only share my experience in the hopes of helping to make a great program even greater.

I consider it resolved...

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:07 am

Hi mllgrennman,

I am also a little annoyed by a few of the voices though most of the voices sound really good. Excluding them has always been on my to-do-list but I haven't got there yet.

It would be very kind if you would share your list of excluded voice sets here.

Thank you!

Regards

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:36 am
Site Admin

Quote:
It would be very kind if you would share your list of excluded voice sets here.
Wow! That's a bit risky! How do you know you have the same taste (or hearing). ;)

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mllgrennman
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am

IMO the difference is stark. I find that they sound either very real or very fake. I can't imagine anyone preferring the robot voices to the real ones, but I'm thankful you gave the exclude option for just such an occasion. I'd be glad to share them. It should be easier to see what I mean. I'll get it out as soon as I think I have them all. BTW. there is a ton more that I love an PF3 than this one complaint, which is able to be resolved by the user.

Thanks again.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: