OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Constantly problems with flightplans

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 22 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: Constantly problems with flightplans
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:53 pm

awralls wrote:
You're making all sorts of assumptions that are leading to you to counter an argument that I'm not making.

First, all my flying is done in an FS world regressed to the 1950s. I can't even spell F M C. No idea what it's for. I use a sextant :) I don't need to be told who's flying the aircraft, thanks. I fly oceanic routes lasting 15 hours using RDF and celestial navigation and calculate fuel loads based on worst-case headwinds rather than a weather app that tells me, to the knot, what the expected headwind will be. Consequently, my diversion planning is considerable and prolonged!! :)

This has nothing to do with me expecting to be descended at my calculated TOD, although doing what I suggest allows the aircraft to keep to its design limits. I might be in a DC-4. I CAN'T descend at 2000' a minute without ripping my wings off. It has everything to do with ensuring that the aircraft is where PF3 wants it to be when it wants it to be and ensure that the aircraft can actually get there safely and in a believable profile.

By calculating a TOD that respects the aircraft profile, the issue of too LATE descents goes away.

By not limiting PF3 to a waypoint that might be 190 miles from the destination, aircraft cruising at less than FL200 don't spend an inordinate amount of time at a daft low altitude. 'At Pilots Discretion' descents are fine but we both know they have a very brief range before they're enforced, and it ain't anything like 100 miles. It also embraces actual ATC procedures, both current and historical.

And were you to suggest that flying in classic-era aircraft with ATC is not what PF3 should be about, because it is focused on you chaps running around brandishing SIDs and STARs, I actually stick with it because it is the ONLY ATC application with the flexibility to build flight plans that provide ATC in anything like the kind of limited form that existed in the 1950s, including long stretches without any en route control and only HF position reporting going on.

The main issue, it seems to me, is that Dave has designed PFE/PF3 to be used in a certain way, but those ways are somewhat opaque to the user. The manual doesn't really explain what PF3 needs or expects to function properly. It's great at explaining what its various buttons do, but light on the actual processes it's using to provide an illusion of ATC. The result is that you keep seeing frustrated users who think it should work one way, only to find that it doesn't, but then not understanding how it DOES work.

I've puzzled it out and can get a reasonable ATC experience with believable descents and vectoring, but none of what I have learned was gleaned from the manual.

Kind regards

Andy
I fly a classic a/c too. The VC10. It doesn't have an FMC and it does have a sextant. And I use that too sometimes! It does have INS though which makes one's job a bit easier. With classic a/c one cannot be a slave to the magenta line. You have to actually apply some piloting skills. PF3 has to be all things to all men and it's a lot better at that than PFE was. I usually have to tailor the fpl a little to suite my a/c. Though I am lucky in that the VC10 is a performance a/c meaning that I can easily get to altitude and descend like a brick if need be.
The problem with writing a manual as to how to apply PF3 in specific situations for specific a/c types is that that they need to be accurate. Also if added to the user manuel would extend it to hundreds of pages.
Why don't you do a YT video on how you set PF3 up for your classic a/c. Showing how you get around PF3's contraints etc. I'm sure that would be interesting viewing!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
awralls
Post subject: Re: Constantly problems with flightplans
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Nobody said anything about a manual to cover specific aircraft types in specific situations. Why make out its such a big deal? It would take a few pages to cover formulating a basic flight plan to give PF3 what it needs and expects. I think you're conferring a complexity on it that not even Dave would claim for it.

For example, there's nothing in the manual that states that altitude change decisions are slaved to waypoints. Explain that and the consequences become obvious. Are there occasions where they're not slaved to waypoints? Explain them. Explain the consequences. Actually, if you go back to the OP, that's what he was saying and asking for.

And, no thanks, I'll leave the YouTubery to you. I get no pleasure out of that stuff, and the pleasure I have derived from this hobby has been through my own exploration and discovery... I wouldn't want to be shown how to do it by someone else.

Cheers,

Andy

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 22 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: