OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 & IFR/VFR Procedures

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: PF3 & IFR/VFR Procedures
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:01 pm

It's OK, nothing broken.. just a procedural question (and how to implement it in PF3). No rush for an answer, just when anyone has an idle moment (?!)...

One of the most memorable flights I have ever had (real world, not FS) is Delhi to Leh (VIDP-VILH) via Srinagar, up in the Himalayas. It's a challenge touching down centre runway, but I usually manage it these days (in FS9, not real world!) - quite a thrill with the great views, and with the sceneries I have installed, quite realistic too, landclass-wise, from what I recall...

Once you get amongst the mountains, the pilot needs to fly by hand, down the river valleys, there are no waypoints to follow. On the other hand, it must be an IFR flight from Delhi, not VFR: I tried VFR, but of course above 11000' ATC keeps asking me to "Request IFR for flight level 110".

1st. question: how do I request a change to IFR in PF3? I assume the PF3 Commands are the same as the PF2K Commands I printed out from PFE? The only option is key 6 in FSS, but I am never in 'FSS' (can't even recall what FSS is as I type this) - so Key 6 just asks for a repetition ('Say again').

2nd. question: later on, I am asked to 'Report runway in sight'. Again, how do I do that in PF3? You can't switch between facilities at will...

As for procedures for the above flight (standing for many similar situations), can anyone with the time and wherewithal describe what might be the best way to use PF3 when flying from Delhi to Leh, where the first part of the flight needs to be 'normal' IFR, and then, at a certain point, you need ATC to stop giving instructions as to heading and fly the plane at your own discretion? It is too early in the flight to ask ATC to allow the pilot to fly at his own discretion - PF3 won't allow it at that stage. How (3rd. question) do I ask, as in default FS9 ATC, to cancel my IFR flight... if that is how I should be managing this?

Many thanks.

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: PF3 & IFR/VFR Procedures
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:28 am

martinlest wrote:
1st. question: how do I request a change to IFR in PF3? I assume the PF3 Commands are the same as the PF2K Commands I printed out from PFE? The only option is key 6 in FSS, but I am never in 'FSS' (can't even recall what FSS is as I type this) - so Key 6 just asks for a repetition ('Say again').

2nd. question: later on, I am asked to 'Report runway in sight'. Again, how do I do that in PF3? You can't switch between facilities at will...
1. You have to contact FSS, even if this breaks the immersion by switching facilities at will. Additionally you may have to define an FSS frequency in the advanced PF3 settings yourself, as PF3 doesn't have a global ATC frequency anymore.
2. HotKey 8 while in contact with Approach (and according to PF3_Displayer even with Center, but I have no idea how this will know that I did not mean to switch to the alternate, maybe it only works without an alternate destination defined?)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
KevinJH
Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:32 am

Hi Martin

In response to your first question regarding changing IFR/VFR/IFR - this was a question I raised during beta testing and the long and the short of it was that the FSS frequency was present using PFE/PF2K at all times; this simply isn't the case now whilst using FSX/P3D. To quote the answer I had from Dave:

"Pre PF3 we were still using 'some' old PF2K data and that appeared to always have an FSS freq. Now all freq data comes from FS , so if there's no FSS that's why.... it doesn't exist in FS. You could obviously add it via the PF3 facilities feature."

hth ;)

edit: and just saw Thomas answered whilst I was putting this together, oh well, you get the picture now :mrgreen:

All the best, Kevin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi and thanks for the replies.

Yes, I saw Runway in Sight is Hotkey 8, but I got no response when I tried it. Maybe the tuning had gone off somehow and I was no longer tuned to the correct frequency. I'll try again when I fly a bit later.

As for the FSS, I can't see anything in Advanced Options - maybe you mean I have to set an FSS frequency on an airport-by-airport basis in the "Add a new facility frequency" option? It would be great to be able to set one globally though. If it has to be done by specifying an FSS frequency for each individual airport you fly to VFR - :shock: - how far from the airport would you have to be to be able to tune in to FSS?

Also, is there a way to change the 11000' max VFR setting? I can't see a user configurable elevation. In the mountains, where some airports are at a higher elevation than that, FL110 as a maximum means that you are nagged as soon as you depart (and then every minute or two) to 'Request IFR for Flight Level 110"

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:44 pm

martinlest wrote:
Hi and thanks for the replies.

Yes, I saw Runway in Sight is Hotkey 8, but I got no response when I tried it. Maybe the tuning had gone off somehow and I was no longer tuned to the correct frequency. I'll try again when I fly a bit later.

As for the FSS, I can't see anything in Advanced Options - maybe you mean I have to set an FSS frequency on an airport-by-airport basis in the "Add a new facility frequency" option? It would be great to be able to set one globally though. If it has to be done by specifying an FSS frequency for each individual airport you fly to VFR - :shock: - how far from the airport would you have to be to be able to tune in to FSS?

Also, is there a way to change the 11000' max VFR setting? I can't see a user configurable elevation. In the mountains, where some airports are at a higher elevation than that, FL110 as a maximum means that you are nagged as soon as you depart (and then every minute or two) to 'Request IFR for Flight Level 110"
Off the top of my head in the real world you can fly up to 17,500ft in FAA and FL195 in ICAO. But in both cases you must be on oxygen at and above 10,000ft. So if your a/c is not equiped with oxygen you limit is 9,500ft or FL95. I have flagged it with Dave so If it's doable it may come as a change later.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:33 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
PF3 does NOT have a set maximum altitude for VFR. If you go to Options #1 and then select Trans Alt & Alt Baro Calls you will see an option at the bottom of the display that reads:-

Use Transition Alt for VFR max alt, other wise PF3 uses 18,000 ;)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Ah Yes!! I just need to uncheck the box. Thanks!!

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 pm

Quote:
PF3 does NOT have a set maximum altitude for VFR. If you go to Options #1 and then select Trans Alt & Alt Baro Calls you will see an option at the bottom of the display that reads:-

I keep unchecking the box, but next time I start PF3, it's checked again. Is the setting supposed to 'stick'?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:32 am
Site Admin

martinlest wrote:
Quote:

I keep unchecking the box, but next time I start PF3, it's checked again. Is the setting supposed to 'stick'?
Well it certainly should do, so I checked and IT'S NOT WORKING!! :shock: :o :? :( :oops:

Needless to say, it has now been fixed and will be in the next release. In the meantime you can change the setting in the INI file... look for UseTA4VFR= under the [Config] section and change it to UseTA4VFR=1 for on or UseTA4VFR=0 for off.

Sorry about that but thanks for reporting it. If only all issues were this easy to fix :D

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:03 pm

:D

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: