OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

No suitable runways - No STAR name - No handoff to Approach

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
RALF9636
Post subject: No suitable runways - No STAR name - No handoff to Approach
Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:57 pm

Some minor issues on my flight KLAS-KSFO:

1. Shortly after the start of the descent the FSUIPC window told me there were no suitable runways and this should be reported on the support forum. Here you are!
A cause for this might have been that I had disabled runways 10L, 10R, 01L and 01R for landings and the wind was calm (0/0).
Nevertheless I was cleared to runway 28L later on.

2. At my last waypoint Center cleared me to final at pilot's discretion (STAR option was activated). I expected PF3 to clear me via the STAR name I entered (in the "if no STAR Name entered use"-field) instead. "Cleared to final at pilot's discretion" should only occur when this is requested with the corresponding shortcut. Or am I wrong here?
In particular with the "Randomizer" it is important that PF3 reads the STAR name.

3. I was not handed off to Approach but received speed restrictions by Center. My VCP (Mode 2) contacted Tower on final and I received landing clearance.

I did not use accelerated sim rate this time! ;)

Regards

Ralf

Attachments
Logs.zip
(890.24 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: No suitable runways - No STAR name - No handoff to Appro
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:25 am
Site Admin

Quote:
Some minor issues on my flight KLAS-KSFO:

1. Shortly after the start of the descent the FSUIPC window told me there were no suitable runways and this should be reported on the support forum. Here you are!
A cause for this might have been that I had disabled runways 10L, 10R, 01L and 01R for landings and the wind was calm (0/0).
Nevertheless I was cleared to runway 28L later on.
It was only a warning message due to the various runway configurations you had made
Quote:
2. At my last waypoint Center cleared me to final at pilot's discretion (STAR option was activated). I expected PF3 to clear me via the STAR name I entered (in the "if no STAR Name entered use"-field) instead. "Cleared to final at pilot's discretion" should only occur when this is requested with the corresponding shortcut. Or am I wrong here?
In particular with the "Randomizer" it is important that PF3 reads the STAR name.
There was no STAR name available according to the log and if you have the Stars Active selected on the SID/STAR display you will get a 'cleared to finals'
Quote:
3. I was not handed off to Approach but received speed restrictions by Center. My VCP (Mode 2) contacted Tower on final and I received landing clearance.
Unfortunately PF3 expected you to be well below Centre altitude by the time you reached your last waypoint, which is why the handoff did not happen. I have changed this so it wan't be an issue going forward. It will be in the next release (hopefully this coming weekend)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:48 am

1. So it can just be ignored? Because the message tells to report it on the forum.

2. I am a little confused. What is the customizable STAR name (on the SID/STAR page) good for if ATC always clears me to final without reading the STAR name?
I did have ATC read the STAR name several times, but sometimes it is just "cleared to final".
I suspect (without having the logs to prove it right now) that the STAR name is read when a STAR entry waypoint is defined on the flightplan page. While it is "cleared to final" when the STAR entry is not defined. Is that how it is intended?
Could you please clarify this?
Thank you.

3. Great. Thank you.

Regards

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:31 am
Site Admin

1. This message was initially intended for those very rare occasions where no runways are found (bad data, etc) and having so many of them disabled is triggering the same message. So, if you were not able to land because PF3 could not find a suitable runway then yes, I would like to know about it. But if, like in this case, you did get the runway expected then no, there's no need to report it.

2. PF3 does read the name and use it but the log just shows me that there was no name available. Did you enter the name just before your flight i.e. during the same session, or was it a name that you have had defined for some time?

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:46 am

1. Ok.

2. Not sure but I think it was the same session. Should that be avoided?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sbsim
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:33 pm

dmarch wrote:
2. PF3 does read the name and use it but the log just shows me that there was no name available. Did you enter the name just before your flight i.e. during the same session, or was it a name that you have had defined for some time?
As I've never had the problem of names not being read and as I set them always before running PF3 (with Randomizer), it seems that this could be the clue. Just my two cents.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:14 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
Not sure but I think it was the same session. Should that be avoided?
No, not at all, I'm just trying to establish if there is a possible problem whereby if you enter the STAR name and then go direct to loading your flight plan. If you could remember that it was entered during another session that would rule out the possibility of any problems.... then I'd have to start looking elsewhere! :o

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Actually I used the "Randomizer". I think I did that when PF3 was already running. Which is against the "How to use" of the Randomizer, so totally my fault.
I assume that caused the problem. I will report if this should happen again even though using the Randomizer before PF3 is started.

Thank you!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
sbsim
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:02 pm

RALF9636 wrote:
Actually I used the "Randomizer". I think I did that when PF3 was already running. Which is against the "How to use" of the Randomizer, so totally my fault.
Technically, it changed SID, STAR, SIDName, STARName keys in PF3.ini while PF3 was running. I don't know if this caused the problem, but it definitely should not happen. New version of Randomizer, that will be released later today, will prevent its use when PF3 is running.

Last edited by sbsim on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:04 pm

RALF9636 wrote:
I assume that caused the problem. I will report if this should happen again even though using the Randomizer before PF3 is started.

Thank you!
The best way to set up PF3 is to work backwards as it were.
1. Make any changes to ini. tweaks if necessary.
2. Check that the SID/STAR pages for the relevent airports contain the info that you want.
3. Load your flight plan.
4. Check that the info on the fpl adjustments page is to you liking.
5. Go.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: