OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Waypoint Crossing Limits

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
awralls
Post subject: Waypoint Crossing Limits
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:21 pm

This might seem a bit odd, but indulge me...

What are the lateral crossing restrictions for passing a waypoint and can they be changed?

I fly almost exclusively in the Classic era... BOAC and Northwest routes from the 1950s. During the early part of this period, for areas outside the US, navigation was limited to the occasional NDB, but mostly RDF, LORAN A and celestial. All of the latter are doing well if they're with 5 miles of the actual position! Indeed, trans-Atlantic routes had a corridor 20 miles wide to hit to be considered on the route!

I can simulate RDF/and LORAN using a variety of methods and there is a sextant gauge for celestial nav.

I really want to use PF3 of or ATC because the Oceanic clearance facility is a brilliant way to simulate the long stretches without any comms other than HF; over North Africa and large parts of Asia for example. However, as far as I can see, PF3 expects a waypoint to be crossed within a couple of miles which makes it extremely difficult to comply using the methods above. Can this be extended to, say, 5 miles or more?

Finally, I realise I'm trying to make PF3 do what it probably wasn't designed to do, so it's no big deal if the answer is 'nope, it is the way it is'.

Thanks,

Andy

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Waypoint Crossing Limits
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:52 pm
Site Admin

Hi Andy

PF3 should now cope with what you're requesting. Originally it was a little too strict but now it is much more lenient. For a normal flight plan this could mean some of your altitude calls could be a little delayed because PF3 will be waiting for you to either reach a waypoint or be moving away from it and having reached a predetermined distance before assuming you've missed it and are now heading toward the next one. But for Oceanic purposes, where you will be giving positional reports along the way, this would not be a problem and should work just fine.

Have you tried the demo?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
awralls
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Dave, I've done more than that - I've bought it and have been using it since it came out. I'm also a long-time user of PFE.

I'm afraid it doesn't do what you suggest. Unless I pass pretty much right over a waypoint, it doesn't acknowledge that I've passed it. I'm not talking about when under Oceanic procedures but in normal route flying. If I look at the Next WP in PF3 Display, it clearly shows when a waypoint hasnt been crossed.

Remember, these things don't have FMCs! :)

The main problem is the XXX boundary as they don't show on any map so I've no idea where they are.

What I was hoping for was some way to relax the crossing restrictions but I guess that's not available.

Cheers,

Andy

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:10 pm
Site Admin

The XXX points would be somewhere on a straight line between two normal waypoints.

Please let me have a log file when you experience this problem and I'll check it ant and then see what can be done

Thanks for your ongoing support :D

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
awralls
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks. I will send a log, but I figure all you'll tell me is that I missed a WP! That much I've worked out! :)

It's that little word 'somewhere'.... It rather defines navigation using a sextant!

Actually, thinking about this some more... All it really needs is a direct-to request hot key key that allows ATC to clear the aircraft to the next but one WP.

Andy

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:50 pm
Site Admin

awralls wrote:
Thanks. I will send a log, but I figure all you'll tell me is that I missed a WP! That much I've worked out! :)
No not at all, I'm just concerned when you say you have to get really close to the waypoint for it to be recognised, which shouldn't be the case, so I need to take a look
Quote:
It's that little word 'somewhere'.... It rather defines navigation using a sextant!
Well you should have to worry about them provided you're going from your flight plan waypoint A to waypoint B because the XXX will be between the two so you will pass by it even if not as close as you might if using an FMC :D
Quote:
Actually, thinking about this some more... All it really needs is a direct-to request hot key key that allows ATC to clear the aircraft to the next but one WP.
Well that's been available for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time :o it's Control/Shift/D

Cheers

Dave March

[ img ]

Profile Quote
awralls
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Whaaaaa.... doh! Y'know, you stare and stare at a piece of text and STILL you miss it! I'm looking at PF3 Display and just never read past the '/' on the D hot key line. What a pillock.

I shall now slink off to the back of the hangar, crestfallen!

Thanks, Dave...

Andy

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: