OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 with MCE

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
RALF9636
Post subject: PF3 with MCE
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:03 pm

helix1250 wrote:
Hi Ralf,

Thank you Dave for letting me share my impressions of MCE :)

After using PF3 for a few days I decided to turn to MCE for voice control, voice control was something I was used to with VoxATC.

So after seeing MCE was updated I gave it a try, installation was simple and the only hitch I had was a button on my joke was always reading as in the on switch state and setup wouldn't let me change it. A quick message to support and 10 mins later I had that sorted. It was a simple edit to a ini file.

I ran through the voice speech training and gave MCE and PF3 a try, I have to say that the two work flawlessly. The only thing that takes a bit of getting used to is when you make a call for ATC you have to get the trigger words in the sentence. For example; "Ground, skyeyes 459, now ready for taxi" the trigger words are "Ground" and "Ready to Taxi" the next you know your getting taxi clearance and route.

The options of sentences and how they can be mixed up to gain clearance Etc is amazing! There's loads to learn and I have only just started, plus it's easy to create and edit check lists and scripts so that your FO can do some of the graft for aircraft setup and things during flight.

Most of your time will be spent learning how many ways you get your FO do stuff, so far I have asked my FO in ten different ways to raise the landing gear and Flaps. All have worked, I am guessing as long as you get the right trigger words it will work :)

I forgot to mention that GSX works perfectly as well via voice and I believe AES does as well!

I would recommend trying the trial and test it :) if you want a copy of the manuals and trust me there's a tonne of them covering commands etc I would be happy to zip them up and put them on my Dropbox for you to look at, just let me know :)

PF3 and MCE both get a massive thumbs up from me, I love them both :)

Hope that helps in some way Ralf.

Regards Rob
I'm opening a new thread on this so it does not get lost.

Thank you very much for your Report, Rob!

Unfortunately I ran out of MCE demo runs before being able to test the interaction with PF3 (had several issues and wasn't aware of the limited numbers of program starts, only had the three days limit on my mind...).

Great to hear that you are satisfied with the MCE-PF3 interaction.
Did you try to request a different flight level? For example being at FL 320 can you say "Speedbird 123 request flight level 360" instead of having to ask for a 4000 ft climb?
Did you try to request a different approach? For example "Speedbird 123 request ILS approach 27L" and that works without those no/yes cycles?
How about the frequencies? Can you ask your FO "Switch COM1 to Ground" and MCE knows the frequency PF3 uses? I think I've seen that in a video about MCE/PFE. Does that work with PF3 also?
Hope you don't mind all these questions. Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
helix1250
Post subject: Re: PF3 with MCE
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:51 pm

HI Ralf,

Well I did another flight tonight and I tried to test the things you asked about!

Flight level issues are not a problem they were fine, the on thing to remember that if your in a climb to your cruse alt and request a lower alt it wouldn't let me. I had to get to cruise and then ask for lower. For me that's not a major issue and to be honest why would I want a lower alt!

Sadly I had no joy with the com frequency changes by using the switch COM1 to ground, not sure if that might work better if you use a more advanced setting for your FO. I will try that again with a different setting.

Hmmm well requesting a different runway, that proved a challenge! I was given Rwy 05R at EGCC and I had planned for 05L so I requested it! The VR just didn't pick up the correct request I was asking, dispite me talking fast, slow and at normal rates. I spent so much tome trying it I missed my vector to the runway lol. Once again I am not sure that is just a learning curve thing that you have to do with the speech training program. Just remember I have only really been using this a few days, and already I am learning fast and its getting easier :)

My only issue was after my missed vector, PF3 refused to vector me back and when requesting vectors was only given wind direction and QNH. I never received landing clearance at any point, and never asked to contact ground once vacated active.

And NO I don't mind questions, I am happy to help if I can :)

Regards Rob

I will attach my logs just incase someone wants to see what happened during my approach :)

Attachments
debug_monitor.zip
(599.63 KiB) Downloaded 185 times

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:23 am

Thank you for these tests, Rob.

Would be interesting to know if the problems you had on approach were caused by MCE or PF3. Maybe that can be seen in your logs.

MCE announced they are about to release an updated version of their Aerosoft Airbus Edition that should work with PF3 and the newest Airbus and was already included in the Aerosoft license. I am going to wait for that now.

Any more reports about your experiences are very much appreciated.

Regards

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
condor
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:05 pm

helix1250 wrote:
HI Ralf,

Hmmm well requesting a different runway, that proved a challenge! I was given Rwy 05R at EGCC and I had planned for 05L so I requested it! The VR just didn't pick up the correct request I was asking
Thanks for feedback Rob.

One thing to keep in mind, MCE enforces good ATC phraseology.

All requests must be started with the ATC_authority you are addressing.

While it's perfectly OK to say "Skywest 467 requesting runway five left for takeoff" or "Skywest 467 request taxi", you might get away with it when you're the only traffic around at a small airport, and the controller got you in sight. In heavy traffic situation, a message that starts with call-sign is typically one that a controller would send to another traffic in order to draw the pilot's attention to the instruction to follow in the message.

Therefore, would rather keep the speech grammars as they are, and for VR to pick that one up, try one of these variations

Manchester ground Skywest 467 requesting runway five left for departure
Manchester ground Skywest 467 requesting five left for departure
Manchester ground Skywest 467 requesting runway five left for takeoff
Manchester ground Skywest 467 requesting five left for takeoff
Ground Skywest 467 requesting runway five left for departure
Ground Skywest 467 requesting five left for takeoff

"requesting" in all above sentences could be replaced with

we are requesting
is requesting
request
Would appreciate
may we use
could we use
can we use
...can't remember all other variations

Profile Quote
helix1250
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Hi condor,

Thanks for the info.

My flight was arriving at EGCC, hence me asking for a runway swap. To be fair I wanted to test to see if it worked more than anything else :)

I tried these two phases while still on with approach;

Approach, skyeyes3570, requesting ILS approach for runway 05L. And
Approach, skyeyes 3570 requesting ILS for runway 05L

As I say I was still directed to 05R, I will test again when I next and at a twin runway airport :)

Rob

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: