OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

A few observations/quirks ..

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 32 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: A few observations/quirks ..
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:44 pm

martinlest wrote:
This (#1) is still happening at different airports - payware airports from respected designers as well as freeware. ATC tells me to line up and wait, which I do. They then tell the aircraft behind me to do the same whilst I am stilol waiting for T/O instructions.

I doubt it's an AFCAD problem - AFACD2 shows no issues anyway. I tend to 'zap' the encroaching a/c with the FSUIPC facility and then I do get T/O clearance. Next time I will test whether I get T/O clearance if I leave the AI plane to go through mine and see what happens.

I do wait until the runway is clear before I enter - but there are still problems with 'catch up' as you said above. On this occasion, T/O clearance for the a/c before me was given as it was lifting off. Is that part of the same issue?

Kills any semblance one might have of 'reality' of course. :(
Hearing a take-off clearance for an a/c that has just taken-off is I think a timing issue. It always happened in PFE too. I'm not sure Dave can do much about that though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:17 pm

No, I have read about that in other threads - it's not a big problem!

It would be really good though to find settings/tweaks or whatever to minimise the number of times that ATC tells a/c to line up so soon after I have been given the same instruction and, as I say, before any "clear for take off" permission is forthcoming. It's happening more often at different airports than I am 'comfortable' with... The result of course just kills any illusion of reality (that we all try to maximise in FS9/FSX, I am sure!) ;)

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 pm

martinlest wrote:
No, I have read about that in other threads - it's not a big problem!

It would be really good though to find settings/tweaks or whatever to minimise the number of times that ATC tells a/c to line up so soon after I have been given the same instruction and, as I say, before any "clear for take off" permission is forthcoming. It's happening more often at different airports than I am 'comfortable' with... The result of course just kills any illusion of reality (that we all try to maximise in FS9/FSX, I am sure!) ;)
That's why I wait until the departing a/c has actually left the rw before lining up. It seems to help put a brake on the default allowing PFE/PF3 to catch up.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:50 am

I may sometimes have only been waiting until the a/c is accelerating along the runway before lining up - but I know that on this last occasion the plane was already in the air before I moved onto the runway. Maybe I need to wait until ATC has contacted the a/c after take-off?

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:54 am

martinlest wrote:
Maybe I need to wait until ATC has contacted the a/c after take-off?
This makes no difference, as PF3 does not control this aircraft, but FSX does.
Hmm, maybe the conflict monitor for taxiing can get additional features here, i.e. freezing aircraft behind you when they get too close.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:57 am

That would be excellent. (FS9 BTW, though I suppose operation is exactly the same?)

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:20 pm

martinlest wrote:
That would be excellent. (FS9 BTW, though I suppose operation is exactly the same?)
That's probably the same, or close enough.

I just added this to the internal wish list:
ThomasAH wrote:
From viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1914:
martinlest wrote:
1. ATC sometimes asks me to line up and wait, which I do. They then ask the AI a/c behind me to line up and wait too, so, being basically stupid, it taxis right through my fuselage. It then gets zapped with my FSUIPC - serves it right (though I feel a bit sorry for the passengers!). ATC then tells me I am clear for take-off.... The stuff 'Air Crash Investigation' is made of...
PF3 already has the Conflict Monitor during taxi, a similar functionality would be nice when near or on the runway:
When I get a clearance to enter the runway (being it line up and wait, or takeoff clearance), AI aircraft attempting to enter or cross the runway need to be frozen by PF3, ideally with a call from PF3 "(callsign) hold your position" or "(callsign) hold" or "(callsign) Hold short at the next intersection", whatever is appropriate.

Unlike the taxi CM this should be active when the user aircraft is stopped, too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:27 pm

martinlest wrote:
Yes FS9, FSX and P3D all use the same dafault ATC engine.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:01 pm

I just wanted to summarise the issues I have with regard to AI traffic...

1. AI traffic running through my aircraft on the runway or, as here, when taxiing.

[ img ]

2. AI a/c running through other AI a/c on the runway or (again, as here) when taxiing.

[ img ]

3. AI a/c keep stopping whilst taxiing to the runway for no apparent reason. No other AI traffic is anywhere near (and I am behind and have to keep stopping) but aircraft will taxi for 20 seconds, then come to a halt for 15 seconds or so. Then resume, and stop again.. Could this have anything to do with my having tried to speed up the default taxi speed from 17KIAS to 25KIAS, using FS9 Configurator?

4. AI a/c wait SO, SO long at the runway for other a/c to land - often they wait so long (several minutes) they have been 'zapped' by FS9 by the time that the incoming plane becomes visible and is approaching the runway. In PF3 options, I have decreased the distance that a/c wait just 4 miles for incoming jet aircraft, but if anything the delays seem even worse than before. The whole turn around of AI is so slow...

I don't know how much of this is FS9 and can be modified by PF3 settings?

Many thanks....

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:52 am

Your #3 is most likely due to PF3's Conflict Monitor feature. PF3 will stop the AI aircraft as you approach it, including from behind, and start it again when you stop or slow down below the preset speed threshold. The speed threshold for this is configurable in the Advanced Options, Conflict Monitor section. See the User Guide pp. 79-80 for more information on this feature.

As far as the other issues, I am not certain that they are PF3 issues. I have not seen one AI aircraft taxiing through another AI aircraft, as you have shown in #2, above, and those aircraft are under the control of FS, not PF3. Regarding #4, the options that you set in PF3 govern how long PF3 will hold YOU short when an AI aircraft is inbound on final. They have nothing to do with how long an AI aircraft waits for another AI aircraft to land. That is controlled by FS, not PF3.

A few things to consider and/or try. Do #1 and #2 only happen at add-on airports, or do they happen at default airports as well? Also, do they happen if you do some taxiing and departures with AI but without PF3 running at all?

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 4  [ 32 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Jump to: