OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

ATC not giving descent instructions after a certain point

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 42 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
martinlest
Post subject: Re: ATC not giving descent instructions after a certain poin
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Same again. ATC tells me to descend on the ILS when I am still at 8000' and almost on top of the airport (a different one each time this happens). I need to be a 2-3000', not 8000 by then. I have the FAF set as I posted (2500') and ATC do ask me to descend to that level usually, but as I say, far too late. I am a past my last waypoint, so nothing I can do with the flight plan.. Why is ATC leaving it too late to request descent? Then they ask me to reduce speed to 200 or whatever: again, impossible - I have to more or less fall out of the sky with spoilers up to get any chance of making the runway (mostly I don't make it and have to circle to lose height) - hard enough to stay under 250 KIAS, let alone mange 170.

It's getting annoying now as it's spoiling so many flights and has been happening ever since I got PF3 (though not every time I fly). I posted the log of the last time it happened.. Hope you can help here. Can I tweak a setting or is there a glitch somewhere in the programme?

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:42 pm

martinlest wrote:
Same again.
I posted the log of the last time it happened..
Please help us with helping you and provide new logs.
Are the logs you mentioned those from page 1 of this thread? viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1900#p10233
If yes, they are from an old version (3.0.3 instead of 3.1.2)
If no, nobody knows where they are.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Oh, my mistake - I thought I'd posted a log yesterday, but the one in this thread is old, you're right. Sorry.

If I can't find the log I seem to recall posting, I'll attach another one here next time it happens (it's not every flight, as I say, but quite a few).

Thanks

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:29 pm

martinlest wrote:
Same again. ATC tells me to descend on the ILS when I am still at 8000' and almost on top of the airport (a different one each time this happens). I need to be a 2-3000', not 8000 by then. I have the FAF set as I posted (2500') and ATC do ask me to descend to that level usually, but as I say, far too late. I am a past my last waypoint, so nothing I can do with the flight plan.. Why is ATC leaving it too late to request descent? Then they ask me to reduce speed to 200 or whatever: again, impossible - I have to more or less fall out of the sky with spoilers up to get any chance of making the runway (mostly I don't make it and have to circle to lose height) - hard enough to stay under 250 KIAS, let alone mange 170.

It's getting annoying now as it's spoiling so many flights and has been happening ever since I got PF3 (though not every time I fly). I posted the log of the last time it happened.. Hope you can help here. Can I tweak a setting or is there a glitch somewhere in the programme?
Without your logs I would say that you have set the FL for your last waypoint too high.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:20 pm

martinlest wrote:
If I can't find the log I seem to recall posting, I'll attach another one here next time it happens (it's not every flight, as I say, but quite a few).
Maye the attachment at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1930&p=10754#p10754 shows the problem, at a quick glance it certainly seems so:
21/03/2016 17:05:25: 820 - Transcript: 'Tower Easy 3208 at 7 Miles to the northeast at Flight Level 80 IFR Landing  '
(with airport altitude of below 300)
Alt for WP:   8 -   RWY - 17000
Alt for WP:   9 -   XXX -  8000
Alt for WP:  10 -  EGAA -   269
XXX is about 28 miles from the airport, so PF3 should have been able to instruct a descent, but it did not.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:17 pm

Yes, that was the one I posted ('Easy 3208'). Thanks.
Quote:
I would say that you have set the FL for your last waypoint too high.
No, the waypoint is not the problem, it's fine.

Vololiberista, thanks for trying to help, but it may be more useful to everyone if you didn't assume quite so readily that everything that isn't working must be due to user error. That's been the essence of pretty much all the replies you've posted to me recently, and though I have never pretended I never make errors (of course I do), putting every odd thing that happens in PF3 down to the fault of the end user is rather aggravating after a while. So long as you continue to assume that, possible fixes in PF3 are not going to happen.

This forum has always been a model of co-operation and friendliness (rarer and rarer on the internet) and I sincerely hope that this is not going to change with your tendency towards a 'the customer is always wrong' kind of attitude..

You have no need either to be so defensive and keep reminding us of what Dave M has done with the software available here (for example with the CM utility). I know - I have been using OnCourse software for many, many years and Dave's achievements are much appreciated, in all senses of the word, believe me.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:12 pm
Site Admin

martinlest wrote:

I believe I have identified and fixed this one in 3.1.3 which should be with you later today :)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks so much Dave,you're a star! :D

Profile Quote
mllgrennman
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:48 am

just checking in...did it work?

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:08 pm

I know that Dave is still working on an update that fixes not only this issue but several others. He will release that, I am sure, just as soon as he is happy that all is working perfectly - so many things are interlinked (correct one problem, and that messes up something else!) that it must be a real headache to get everything running smoothly, but to answer your specific question, it seems that he has fixed the issue mentioned on this thread, yes, and that fix will of course be in the next update Dave puts out.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 42 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: