OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

'Say again' setting crashed FS9

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: 'Say again' setting crashed FS9
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:18 pm

I had set the option in the 'Advanced Options' to 'Both' and then forgot about it.. The first time I tried to call up the 'Say Again' my FS9 immediately disappeared - in its place was the ATC log window. I also got the 'Say again' dialogue, as I'd wanted, plus the PF3 email error reporting window, which I filled in and sent. I thought that FS9 had just minimised when I wrote what I was doing - in fact the process had closed down completely. Sad end to what was towards the close of a long-haul flight :twisted:

I have reset the option to basic 'say again' ....

Martin

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: 'Say again' setting crashed FS9
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:03 am

martinlest wrote:
I had set the option in the 'Advanced Options' to 'Both' and then forgot about it.. The first time I tried to call up the 'Say Again' my FS9 immediately disappeared - in its place was the ATC log window. I also got the 'Say again' dialogue, as I'd wanted, plus the PF3 email error reporting window, which I filled in and sent. I thought that FS9 had just minimised when I wrote what I was doing - in fact the process had closed down completely. Sad end to what was towards the close of a long-haul flight :twisted:

Martin
That suggests your hotkey is also attached to another function. FS9 is a very stable platform. The only time I had problems with FS9 crashing was when there was addware running which I traced with autoruns. Check what else is running and what other hotkey functions are being used. And if necessary change your hotkey to a free key.
Don't forget, and this is important for users who use a keyboard not set up for English, that key positions can change and can be changed. Especially if it is a French keyboard! I have an Italian keyboard but with UK regional settings. But even so when I type I have to switch between Italian and English keyboard layout.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:12 am

Do you use FS9 in full screen?
The new window will of course switch away from full screen, and if your FS9 doesn't like the switch, the crash may happen.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 am
Site Admin

martinlest wrote:

Martin
The ATC log display was not designed for use with FS in full screen and is best utilised when using a second monitor or PC

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:53 am

Yes I use full screen and also a programme to keep windows like this on the 2nd. monitor - I hadn't configured it for the ATC text window. (It's good that windows like the remote text remember their positions when you drag them and change their size!). I wasn't surprised of course that FS9 disappeared to the task bar, just that it closed down completely..

I have switched to basic 'Say Again' anyway. I still need to have a look at the hotkeys to see if I have duplicates..

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:42 pm

ThomasAH wrote:
Do you use FS9 in full screen?
The new window will of course switch away from full screen, and if your FS9 doesn't like the switch, the crash may happen.
I have never had any problems changing from full screen to windowed neither with PF3.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:50 pm

I am trying to use the ATC log window again, but unlike Remote Text and PF3_Display it doesn't (pace the pdf manual) remember its position - I cannot get it to stay on the 2nd. monitor - is there a trick to this? I've dragged the whole window and I've dragged the edges until it is in the right position, but to no avail. As long as it insists on opening on the main, FS monitor (and so minimising or crashing the programme - it hasn't crashed FS9 again so far, in fact), I shan't be able to use it: I've gone back to simple 'Say again' for now.

Can others get the window to stay at the same size and place?

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:21 pm

I use FSX (not FS9, but should not matter) in windowed mode and use an autohotkey script to maximize it so much that the borders vanish, so I can switch to other programs and still see FSX behind them.
Search for: borderless fullscreen autohotkey
or: pseudo full screen autohotkey

Alternatively you can make PF3 open the message log window at startup, so if it crashes, the crash is not during your flight.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks, but I find (always have) that flying in windowed mode gives far less good results than full screen. In FSX, which I don't fly as much, I have a little programme that simulates full screen, with just a 1 pixel black border around it - I have to use this otherwise, unlike in FS9, my second monitor, for my flight map etc., is always black. But the scenery has a tendency to 'ripple' as you pan, even with SweetFx helpling out.

So I am not going to fly any other way now than full screen. I can manage with simple 'say again' and the remote text application and if necessary pause FS9 and go to windowed mode to run the ATC log window. The pdf definitely says it will remember its size and position. I wonder why it doesn't.

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:04 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
The pdf definitely says it will remember its size and position. I wonder why it doesn't.
Maybe the PDF is wrong? :shock:

I'll check it out :D

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: