OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Are voice sets in PF3 the same files as in PFE?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
martinlest
Post subject: Are voice sets in PF3 the same files as in PFE?
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi. I am only trying out the demo so I have very few voice sets at my disposal to test. Can I therefore ask whether the 119 voice sets (was that the number?) are the same as those in PFE or have they been edited at all? My main gripe with the voices in PFE (one gripe against dozens of positive impressions!) was that phrases, words and even individual syllables in longer words seemed to have been recorded in completely difference ambiences and at different volumes - and with stero speakers syallables even seem to come at you from different directions! The 'mosaic'/'patchwork' effect is very weird and I've never really got used to it (as I have completely, for example, with ATC & pilots using ICAO codes rather than airport names). The pilots are far more likely to have this issue than the ATC voices for some reason. I realise that that situation was inherited by OnCourse, but I wonder if any 'cleaning up' has been attempted?

There were also voice sets that (on my PC at least) came over full, bass-rich and 'plummy' whilst others came from so far away that I could not hear them at all (so I started using Remote Text!). I tried to batch edit some of the most extreme ones, but as Dave M wrote to me - things were so set up in PFE that the programme no longer recognised the wav files as valid. Has any 'normalisation' been attempted across the voice sets in the full version?

Not a deal breaker maybe, but I am trying to talk myself into spending the cash (not a good time at the moment, but that's my problem of course!), so as many positives as possible would help! :D

Thanks..

Martin

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Are voice sets in PF3 the same files as in PFE?
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:22 pm
Site Admin

In the early days PFE on had the 44 voice sets that were shipped with PF2K. In V2 we introduced an expanded (vocabulary) set of some 60 voice sets. In PF3 there are none of the original PF2K voice sets and the 60 voice sets from the V3 expanded voice sets is included as standard, together with an additional 59 new voice sets, giving the toal of 119.

You won't like all 119 of them but at least you have the option to disable those you don't like

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks for the reply. I only ever used the new voice sets in PFE never the originals, but never really got round to identifying and then exclude individual sets (though I can see that the latter at least is straight forward). Just a few were pretty bad vis-a-vis the problem I noted above, so if they occur in PF3, I need to do the necessary and exclude them., yes.

BTW, I think the batch editing I referred to above was with FDC voice sets, not PFE, but no matter.

Probably go ahead today and make the purchase of PF3 :)

Martin

Profile Quote
MaVe_64
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 pm

I wish serious PF3 users could make their own voice sets and share with the community. That way there would be lots to choose from with accents from all over the world.

[ img ]
MaVe Creations - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!
www.mavecreations.weebly.com

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:50 pm

MaVe_64 wrote:
I wish serious PF3 users could make their own voice sets and share with the community. That way there would be lots to choose from with accents from all over the world.
That's what Pro Atc does. BUT there needs to be strict quality control otherwise you will get a lot of inconsistencies and inaccuracies which plague that ATC programme. 119 voices are enough don't you think? And they are already from all over the World.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:57 pm

If it were possible, it would be good. There is a good selection of voices from some parts of the world, but few Asian (Japanese, Indian) for example.

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:04 pm

Just to check - all voice sets possible are installed by default at PF3 setup, right? (Someone said, somewhere in this forum, that they were happy you could install the extra purchased PFE voice sets into PF3. As far as I understand, they come with the programme anyway, don't they?).

I have 44 folders in my PF3 wav folder. The 119 sets are taken somehow from those 44 folders then, or do I have some files/folders missing?

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:05 am
Site Admin

Yes to everything

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaVe_64
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:58 am

vololiberista wrote:
MaVe_64 wrote:
That's what Pro Atc does. BUT there needs to be strict quality control otherwise you will get a lot of inconsistencies and inaccuracies which plague that ATC programme. 119 voices are enough don't you think? And they are already from all over the World.
Yeah, but I understand that alot of them are inconsistent and inaccurate already (see post above), so you could replace these.
Maybe I'll so some editing to make them better and change some good ones from male to female or so. I like fooling around with sound files :lol:
If anyone wants better AI aircraft sounds for instance check out my work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxAMOG6P8gQ

MaVe Creations

[ img ]
MaVe Creations - Free AI sounds - Giving your airports more atmosphere!
www.mavecreations.weebly.com

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:38 am

martinlest wrote:
Just to check - all voice sets possible are installed by default at PF3 setup, right? (Someone said, somewhere in this forum, that they were happy you could install the extra purchased PFE voice sets into PF3. As far as I understand, they come with the programme anyway, don't they?).

I have 44 folders in my PF3 wav folder. The 119 sets are taken somehow from those 44 folders then, or do I have some files/folders missing?
You have "all" the voices. There are no additional voice packs.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: