OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 v. PFE+PF2000 ?

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
martinlest
Post subject: PF3 v. PFE+PF2000 ?
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:03 pm

Hi,

I am sure I am not the only one who is pretty loathe to ditch what was not inexpensive software (PFE + the optional voicepack set) and start all over from scratch, and I wonder whether a few people who bought PF3 could be kind enough to post and say in what ways, once loaded and running in FS9, the new PF3 justifies removing PFE and 'investing' £34.99 in the new software.

I will probably try out the demo version, but it would be good to read what people who have flown with PF3 a while think about it. You happy you paid out and made the switch?

I don't fly FSX much, and never with PFE, mostly because I only use FSX for VFR flying in Cessnas etc. and PFE does not work without a flight plan: can you have ATC working in PF3 with no flight plan loaded - that would be a definite plus. Are the functions of PF3 pretty much the same in FS9 and FSX?

Thanks.

Martin

Profile Quote
Dan77
Post subject: Re: PF3 v. PFE+PF2000 ?
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Martin. First off, you don't need to uninstall anything, as PFE and PF3 are separate. I still have PFE on my setup. You can install the demo and then PF3, if you choose to purchase, without removing PFE.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:49 pm

... sure, but isn't PFE pretty much redundant once PF3 is installed? Maybe I have misunderstood.

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:18 pm

martinlest wrote:
... sure, but isn't PFE pretty much redundant once PF3 is installed? Maybe I have misunderstood.
The two programmes will work perfectly but independently of each other. You can use either PFE or PF3 as much or as often as you wish. If you want to make PFE redundant then that's your choice. Bear in mind theat only PF3 will be updated.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:16 pm

OK, thanks. Anyone care to comment on why I might want to keep PFE if I do buy PF3? Are there functions in PFE that PF3 does not cover then?

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:54 pm

martinlest wrote:
OK, thanks. Anyone care to comment on why I might want to keep PFE if I do buy PF3? Are there functions in PFE that PF3 does not cover then?
They are two separate programmes. Remember that PFE will never be updated. It will stay the same as it is now. PF3 on the other hand is already far better than PFE ever was and will be updated. So you don't need to ask anyone here as the choice is entirely yours. Whether you want to keep PFE and PF3, just PF3 or just PFE.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 pm

So you don't need to ask anyone here as the choice is entirely yours

Hmmm.. not sure about that: it would seem perfectly normal to ask people here (and elsewhere) their opinion about two programmes that at the end of the day have similar tasks. That's what people do on the internet, no? Amazon reviews/opinions etc., to help prospective customers decide whether to buy or not? The choice is mine, I know, but I asked for input to help me make that choice.

Otherwise, even based on the demo, I agree, it's a nice programme. If I didn't already have PFE, I wouldn't hesitate for a second...

Regards,

M

EDIT: OK, maybe we are at crossed purposes. You mean, (now I read what you wrote for the third time), that's it's my choice whether.I have both PF3 and PFE installed (I probably wouldn't see the point in that) - not whether I buy PF3 :) In that case, you are quite right of course!

Profile Quote
KevinJH
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:39 am

Hi Martin

I guess when looking in the User Guide to see what's new in PF3, the three and a bit pages of items added and improved to the programme that you won't see in PFE could be seen as reason enough to run full time with it - thereby negating any reason to leave PFE on your machine. I understand where you're coming from with the financial point of view but I feel confident that you'd see a marked improvement in seeing and experiencing how PFE has greatly evolved into PF3. It's one of those "if it ain't broke, why fix it" type of conundrums in the eyes of some perhaps - but this really is a new animal ;)

All the best, Kevin

Profile Quote
martinlest
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:17 am

OK, thanks for that comment Kevin. As I fly FS9 every day when I am at home and I could never now do so without PFE, I guess I am going to be getting the credit card out very soon. I just wish that there were a bit of a discount for existing PFE users. The cost of the OnCourse software I have bought (FDC, PFE, voice sets, PF3) is going to be in three figures, sterling... three times what Fs9 itself cost me. I agree though, the improvements are certainly not to be sniffed at!!

Edit: Oh, I see that the cost I saw of £34.99 is without tax, so the software is actually £41.99. That's too rich for me, especially when I already have PFE.

Martin

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: