OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Advice please

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
mbunjes
Post subject: Advice please
Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:35 am

I'm not sure what facility to contact when I'm sitting at an airport that has no ground facilities.
I'm given a choice by PF3 of Multicom, Unicom and FSS. As far as I understand only FSS can provide you with ATIS and clearance but when I dial in the FSS frequency and press 0 nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong ?

regards

Martin

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Post subject: Re: Advice please
Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:58 am

mbunjes wrote:
I'm not sure what facility to contact when I'm sitting at an airport that has no ground facilities.
I'm given a choice by PF3 of Multicom, Unicom and FSS. As far as I understand only FSS can provide you with ATIS and clearance but when I dial in the FSS frequency and press 0 nothing happens.
What am I doing wrong ?

regards

Martin
You take-off from an uncontrolled airport and fly VFR if later you want to change to IFR once airborne press "6".

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mbunjes
Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:07 am

I see. Thank you for your answer. So it's entirely up to me to get airborne and fly whatever procedures I want ? So who do I contact when in the air ?I tried a few flights and managed to get some sort of guidance but never was handed over to approach and never got any descent instructions either.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
KevinJH
Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 am

Hi Martin

It does seem odd that when you dial into the FSS freq and select '0' to file your plan you get no response as this is a particular procedure I use often. It may therefore be of use if you could post your log and FPP here for us to check out.

As I'm sure you know, once airborne and in contact with FSS, you'd select '4' to request Centre's freq. for flight following and they'll take over from there.

Logs please if available ;)

All the best, Kevin

Profile Quote
mbunjes
Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:54 am

I'm sorry : I'm rather new to this. Which log do you need ? I seem tp have a whole lot of them. And what is FPP ? (Flight Plan Profile ? Fully Programmable Powerranger ?)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:42 pm

mbunjes wrote:
I'm sorry : I'm rather new to this. Which log do you need ? I seem tp have a whole lot of them. And what is FPP ? (Flight Plan Profile ? Fully Programmable Powerranger ?)
In the logs folder you should see a file debug_monitor.log make this into a zip file
In your flight directory you should see another called FPP zip the contents of that and attach both of them to your next post

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mbunjes
Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:15 am

So I did a flight yesterday between two more or less uncontrolled airports and of course everything worked smoothly now except again : no descent calls worth mentioning. I had to descent at my own discretion otherwise I would not have arrived at the FAF. I changed the descent rate in my aircraft profile to 1500 ft/min (PMDG 738 NGX) hoping that a slower descent would lead to a earlier call from ATC. That didn't really work so I'm still posting my logs.
Another issue is that since I'm flying a hardware cockpit with OC radios I can't really use the VCP modes because the radios won't stay tuned to the frequency the VCP dials in. When I switched my radios off the VCP mode works. Is there a way around this so I can have my radios switched on but still have the VCP operate them ?

Attachments
debug_monitor.rar
(439.18 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
FPP.rar
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:45 pm
Site Admin

Hi
Quote:
Another issue is that since I'm flying a hardware cockpit with OC radios I can't really use the VCP modes because the radios won't stay tuned to the frequency the VCP dials in.
So are you saying your VCP changes the frequency but then they change by themselves?

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:17 pm
Site Admin

Hi again,

On reaching VIDRI you were instructed to descend from 24,000 to 19,000, which you commenced shortly afterwards, with 64 miles to go to your next waypoint which was XOTUV. About 2-3 minutes later you reached 19,000. But then you continued to descend without further instructions even though you still had another 49 miles to go to XOTUV.

A little too hasty I think ;)

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mbunjes
Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:06 pm

dmarch wrote:
Hi
Quote:
Another issue is that since I'm flying a hardware cockpit with OC radios I can't really use the VCP modes because the radios won't stay tuned to the frequency the VCP dials in.
So are you saying your VCP changes the frequency but then they change by themselves?
Yes, I can see (on the PMDG pedestal) the frequency change for about half a second, then it changes back to whatever I had tuned in on the OC radios. So I have to tune my radios to the frequency the VCP is using which sort of defies the whole VCP mode I think.
dmarch wrote:
A little too hasty I think
Hmm, I just barely made my crossing restrictions though....

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: