OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Holdings

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
RALF9636
Post subject: Holdings
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Thank you for making the EFASS flightplans readable without having to process them in the sim. But there is another problem with EFASS flightplans. All the waypoints are labeled as "intersections" in the pln-file, no matter if they actually are VORs, NDBs or intersections. So there are no waypoints you can assign a holding to in PF3. Of course this is rather an EFASS issue than a PF3 issue.

But that brought up the question: Is it realistic to have holdings only at VORs or NDBs? Aren't there lots of holdings at intersections? Just a shot in the dark lead me to ROME FIVE ARRIVAL to KATL (not sure about copyright issues when pasting a link here, should be easy to find). Lots of intersections with indicated holdings. As I am not a real world pilot maybe my understanding of the chart is wrong. Clarification would be appreciated.

Regards

Ralf

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave March
Post subject: Re: Holdings
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:20 pm
Site Admin

Yes you're right and it's on our new features list already.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dan77
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Hi Ralf, I don't use EFASS but FlightSim Commander has the same type of issue. The waypoints are considered intersections even if a navaid is present there. As Dave mentioned, a planned future feature will allow holds at intersections and fixes. In the meantime, there are a few things you can do. In EFASS, you may be able to manually select the VOR or NDB (rather than the intersection) as the waypoint, which would allow a hold there. Another option is to manually edit the pln file which is generated, before it is loaded into PF3. You may be able to re-classify the waypoint as a V (VOR) which would allow a hold there. These are just temporary until the new feature is implemented.

Dan

[ img ]

Profile Quote
RALF9636
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Good to know, thank you! I hope you can also introduce a probability or some kind of randomness for the holdings.

I already succesfully edited the pln file (that's how I found out that there are only "intersections"). Thanks anyway for that hint.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:41 pm

RALF9636 wrote:
Good to know, thank you! I hope you can also introduce a probability or some kind of randomness for the holdings.
Yes that has also been discussed!

As has been said Dave will likely add fixes to the list when he has more time. VORs and NDBs were the original holding points because pilots had to use the equivalent instruments to fly them. I'm editing a video of ZJSY to VHHX where I am hand flying a holding pattern over a VOR. And I pass over the cone of silence each time!!! With the advent of GPS, fixes have become more common and are used at many airports now so it'll be a nice feature. Also to have some randomness for me would be excellent. With a published hold at an airport the chances of holding are high. You might get away with it or not. But you have to be prepared. Fortunately when I did this video the crosswind at the hold was only 20kts. Usually at Hong Kong the upper winds are much stronger.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: