OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Not Handed Off To Tower

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
airworthy
Post subject: Not Handed Off To Tower
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:56 am

Hi

I'm using PF3 in Demo mode and, as far as I've managed to get, first impressions are very good.
The TGS system is great and I can imagine it to be very useful in the larger complex airports.

However I have problem. The user guide in the Quick-Start Tutorial describes:
As you approach the runway you will be handed off to Tower control and your
VCP will then request permission to depart.

I've attempted to get this handoff to Tower control a number of times at a couple of different airports and a couple of different aircraft but I get to the holding point and no contact has been made. I wait and wait, even venture past the holding point, but nothing.
If I use the hot key to contact ground, I just get taxi instructions from the parking point again .......which is very frustrating.
I've even taken off hoping to be admonished by Tower ........... but nothing.

Clearly I'm missing a point somewhere or doing something wrong, but after reading through the Tutorial a number of times I haven't the first idea what I'm doing wrong.

Profile Quote
pasterke
Post subject: Re: Not Handed Off To Tower
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:16 am

Hi,
From the FAQ in the manual :

Q: I'm using Copilot Mode 2 but PF3 doesn't detect when I get near to the
active runway and so doesn't tell me to switch to the Tower.
A: PF3 waits for you to be within 700' feet of the active runway before
issuing a 'Contact Tower on...' command. If you happen to be taking off from
a position other than the end of the active runway you may well be more than
700' away from that detection point. Should this be the case you would need
to manually switch to the Tower frequency and then use Hotkey 6 to contact
Tower and request takeoff clearance.

Regards,

patrick

[ img ]
[ img ][ img ]

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:36 am

Additional note: If you are not using VCP mode 2 (as noted in the FAQ), but VCP mode 0 (you do all by yourself), you need to tune to Tower and use hotkey 6, too.
(and hotkey 1 when landing)

But for the first steps with PF3 I would suggest using VCP mode 2, so you can see what PF3 expects from you.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
airworthy
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:35 am

Quote:
If you happen to be taking off from
Thanks for the responses. I've managed to get through to the Tower using the hotkey #6.
Following the Tutorial, I was in CP mode 3. I followed the taxi instructions to the holding point of the active runway so I'm surprised that PF3 failed to pick up on that :roll:

thanks again.....
Paul

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:16 pm

airworthy wrote:
Quote:
If you happen to be taking off from
Thanks for the responses. I've managed to get through to the Tower using the hotkey #6.
Following the Tutorial, I was in CP mode 3. I followed the taxi instructions to the holding point of the active runway so I'm surprised that PF3 failed to pick up on that :roll:

thanks again.....
Paul
Hotkey 6 is quite a good hack sometimes too. First remember the facilities available at an airport. In the video LIMZ-->LIMF the start LIMZ has only a Tower frequency. So in those cases one has to press HK6 at the holding point to get clearance for take-off. At other busier airports ground will ask you to call the tower and as mentioned above in VCP mode2 he or she will do that for you. In almost every situation ground will taxi you to the very first hold right at the end of the rwy. So imagine you are at a busy airport and there's a long line of AI wanting to take-off, give them the "Ci vediamo a l'una" one fingered sign! and taxi to a more convenient hold, press HK6 and Tower will clear you for take-off! It's called jumping the queue :lol: Done it many times at EGLL!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
airworthy
Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:39 pm

Quote:
First remember the facilities available at an airport. In the video LIMZ-->LIMF the start LIMZ has only a Tower frequency.
This did finally occur to me ........ both airports I tried were Tower only. Although I did expect my virtual co-pilot would request T/O clearance at least :o

I must admit I did only a brief reading of the user guide and no videos, just keen to hop in and try it out.
So first impressions I am really impressed with PF3 and the level of support on this Forum is excellent. Quick replies to my post, so thank you.

Clearly I need to do more reading and watch a couple of videos before my next flight.

Paul

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: