OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

SID and STAR

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Alpha117
Post subject: SID and STAR
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I goto the SID and STARs window and enter airport eg(LEPA)

It brings up the runway data
1. Use ALL runways set to 'B'
2. Enter MAp Alt of 3000 for 06L and 06R
3. Enter STAR Name for 06L and 06R (LUNI2N)
Set transition to 6000
Set FAF to 3000

Save changes

Already ticked the 'SIDs' active box BTW

1. IS that correct
2. Will PF3 select either 06L or 06R on arrival

thanks

Clive

Profile Quote
sgreen91
Post subject: Re: SID and STAR
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:00 pm

Ive been playing with the demo all weekend and could give you my take on your situation.

All runways are set for takeoff and land. If you want to make sure 6L and 6R are used for landing check those runways as L then either make all other runways X or T.

Entering the Star name is only an immersion factor as PF3 has no idea what this procedure is and will only state the procedure name when you arrive at the start point that is checked in the altitudes menu. So when you pass that point Center will say something like cleared LUNIN2N with traffic calls etc. You should fly it as per your charts and flight computer. You could actually just leave the name off and it will say cleared Sierra Tango etc. It would work the same way.

If you have the STAR box also checked you should fly the arrival transitioning into the approach. pF3 only picking up when on final and you contact tower for clearance to land. If the Star box is not checked then after the last waypoint in your plan you will recieve Vectors to one of those runways depending on wind etc.

The SIDS box checked will tell PFE to not assign vectors after departure and you should fly per charts. PF3 will pick up at the waypoint designated as SID exit in altitude menu.

I am not an expert at this program but have put about 15 hours of flights in the demo trying to understand how it works. I have an advantage because RC4 worked in a similar fashion where I would have to "massage" the flight plan etc.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge can give you a better understanding. I feel I just rambled.

Sean

Profile Quote
vololiberista
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:04 pm

sgreen91 wrote:
Ive been playing with the demo all weekend and could give you my take on your situation.

All runways are set for takeoff and land. If you want to make sure 6L and 6R are used for landing check those runways as L then either make all other runways X or T.

Entering the Star name is only an immersion factor as PF3 has no idea what this procedure is and will only state the procedure name when you arrive at the start point that is checked in the altitudes menu. So when you pass that point Center will say something like cleared LUNIN2N with traffic calls etc. You should fly it as per your charts and flight computer. You could actually just leave the name off and it will say cleared Sierra Tango etc. It would work the same way.

If you have the STAR box also checked you should fly the arrival transitioning into the approach. pF3 only picking up when on final and you contact tower for clearance to land. If the Star box is not checked then after the last waypoint in your plan you will recieve Vectors to one of those runways depending on wind etc.

The SIDS box checked will tell PFE to not assign vectors after departure and you should fly per charts. PF3 will pick up at the waypoint designated as SID exit in altitude menu.

I am not an expert at this program but have put about 15 hours of flights in the demo trying to understand how it works. I have an advantage because RC4 worked in a similar fashion where I would have to "massage" the flight plan etc.

Maybe somebody with more knowledge can give you a better understanding. I feel I just rambled.

Sean
For having only 15 hours on your licence that's not bad. Even I understood it!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alpha117
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks guys...sorted :D

Profile Quote
ThomasAH
Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:30 pm

Sean's answer is right, the only minor detail I would add is that of course you can set 6L and 6R to B if you like (or L as Sean suggested, both work).

Seeing the long STAR name here:
Real-world ATC would pronounce LUNIN2N as Lunin-Two-November, but since PF3 uses pre-recorded voices, it would say Lima-Uniform-November-India-November-Two-November. So maybe you want to use something like L2N (Lima-Two-November) or LU2N (Lima-Uniform-Two-November) instead to get a shorter call. It should only to be unique for the airport, so use what you like most.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
pschlute
Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 am

I think Sean gets "customer of the year" award for his excellent understanding of how PF3 works.

Just one thing to add for those who don't know, is that you can also tick the STAR box on its own without selecting a start of STAR. It functions the same way giving you "cleared to finals" instructions instead of vectors when you reach your last waypoint in the plan.

Peter

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: