OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

PF3 and P3D

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Dave March
Post subject: PF3 and P3D
Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:53 pm
Site Admin

If you're having problems connecting to P3D it is due to a couple of possibilities...

1. You must run the DB Rebuild facility first to create your P3D base data files because yes, I did omit them from the demo download. That has now been rectified (6/2/16) and if you download it again all will be well, although you should still run the PF3 DB Rebuild if you have any addon airports, etc.

2. If you have ever used one of those migration tools with P3D you must ensure you don't have a dummy FSX.EXE file sitting in your main P3D folder, because PF3 will pick that up first and create DB files for FSX rather than P3D. Again that would be rectified the first time you make a successful connection to FS

3. Provided that the P3D files have been created in your PF3/Data folder all will be well. You should have 5 files starting with the name PF3_P3D and two files with the name PF3P3DData.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
airforce2
Post subject: Re: PF3 and P3D
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:23 pm

Interestingly, PF3 also seems to preempt a P3D update when it detects the presence of FS9.exe too...I have both a dummy FS9.exe and FSX.exe in my main p3dV3 folder to facilitate backwards compatibility with a few add-ons that want to see those files.

Seems this is quite backwards...in no case would a Prepar3d.exe file appear in an instance of FSX or FS9, nor Prepar3d.exe or FSX.exe in an instance of FS9...would it not be better programming logic to detect them in opposite order (P3D, then FSX, then FS9) and then go with the one it finds first?

I also note that of the PF3_P3D_xxxx.dat files, only the PF3_P3D_Taxilink.dat file is being updated by the DB update. That seems counterintuitive to me...I would expect all the .dat files to update--is that correct behavior?

Regards

Bob Scott

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:26 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
I also note that of the PF3_P3D_xxxx.dat files, only the PF3_P3D_Taxilink.dat file is being updated by the DB update. That seems counterintuitive to me...I would expect all the .dat files to update--is that correct behavior?
Taxilink file is created on the fly each time you update the DB, the other files are just copies from the MakeRwys output so they will retain the date from the last time you ran MakeRwys.

With regard the dummy files in the P3D folder, they only cause a problem the very first time you run PF3 after installation, after that we don't care what files are in that folder. :D

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
airforce2
Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:43 pm

When I ran another DB update, the date/time on the FS9 taxilinks dat file indicated it was the one that updated while the FS9.exe file was present. Afterr removing the executable, the P3D taxilinks dat file then updated. This is a network install.

Regards

Bob Scott

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: