OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Oceanic -- Saving a flight enroute and other thoughts

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are reporting an issue with PF3 please remember to Zip and attach the Debug_Monitor.log file from your PF3\Logs folder. Thank you.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
miraclemax
Post subject: Oceanic -- Saving a flight enroute and other thoughts
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:41 pm

Several times I have tried to save a very long flight while within Oceanic air space, either default Atlantic or user created and PF3 has failed to pick-up where it left off. I can hear passing tfc but my co-pilot makes no position reports at waypoints and of course no SELCAL activity. Admittedly, I normally just give-up and revert to P3Dv4.5 atc. But now since you stated that you are looking into Oceanic problems I figured I might as well join the conversation.

I listen to RW HF aviation comms all the time, e.g. New York radio, Oakland, SF Radio, Gander, Shanwick etc... One of the reasons I bought PF3 was for its Oceanic capability. That is not a complaint... actually I love PF3 and think the program is Genius! I want to see it get better.

Also for your consideration: ATC does not SELCAL the receiver every time they want to talk to them after the initial SELCAL (after the receiver is "woke-up") or once the aircraft contacts ATC for a position report or other reason. The receiver has a programmable "time-out" after which it goes back to 'sleep' and has to be 'woke-up' with a SELCAL again. (anyway, the radios I used had that feature ... that was a while ago though)

A typical exchange (at least what I have heard on HF on freqs operated by Rockwell-Collins GlobalLink Services:
1) "United 943 position report"
2) "United 943 go ahead with position report"
3) {United 943 gives current position, next waypoint at time, fuel remaining and its SELCAL code}
4) {ATC reads back and says 'Standby for SELCAL check'}
5) ATC activates SELCAL
6) United 943 confirms SELCAL received.
END

Also, ATC will SELCAL an aircraft that they have a message for them; to advise of impending WX, other aircraft etc...

We are patient and willing to wait for improvements to the system. Thank you for caring about it.
Logs.zip
(1.67 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Walter

Profile Quote
miraclemax
Post subject: Re: Oceanic -- Saving a flight enroute and other thoughts
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:46 am

Tried to resume same FLT. Resumed just fine but still no pos rpts by copilot when reaching waypoint. Upon loading, message confirming Oceanic procedures showed up in cc window. Plus, ATC called and said they had radar contact... in Oceanic ??? radar contact??? In addition, when requesting a pos rpt my copilot's request showed up in the cc window but no voice was hrd; ATC responded with a read-back... I use Comm Plus and verified that that was so.
Thanks
Walter
Logs 07241241Z(3).zip
(1.07 MiB) Downloaded 173 times
PHNLRKSI_FSX_22Jul19.zip
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

Profile Quote
Dave March
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:59 am
Site Admin

Thanks for that and your informative post. I will take a good look at your logs over the next few days and report back. I will also note your suggestions for future updates.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
miraclemax
Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Additional: Resumed FLT PHNLRKSI (3rd Resume), Again CC showed Oceanic Procedures operative and again no comms after initial exchange and the same "Radar Contact" acknowledgement by ATC while still in Oceanic space and no SELCALs etc...

However, hours later, after passing end point of Oceanic space I received a freq change and comms resumed as normal. It's one of the things I love about PF3 and that is the fact that I can leave the computer and my 'copilot' handles comms and with the ATC log I can see what has transpired when my attention has been diverted.

One more thing: After I save the FLT, I proceed to 'Disconnect' PF3 but the 'Disconnect' button is greyed-out. I get around this by right-clicking on the PF3 icon in the tray and clicking 'Close'. Disconnect button is greyed-out all through the FLT, not just after saving in P3D.

By the way there was an incorrect time on a previous zip file: should be 07240041Z not 07241241Z.

Thanks
Walter
Logs 07242102Z.zip
(2.53 MiB) Downloaded 156 times

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “PF3-ATC at its best”
Jump to: