OnCourse Software

Welcome to our Product Support Forums

Error 429

Locked   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Wombat457
Post subject: Error 429
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:46 am

I am running FS9 on a fully up to date Windows 7 Pro system. When I try connecting to FS9 using Flight Deck Companion I am getting an "Error 429" message.

I have checked the forums and only other post I found re this claimed the problem was solved but the "solution" was never posted.

What causes this error?
How do you fix it?

wombat457

ThomasAH
Post subject: Re: Error 429
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:33 am

In which directory did you install it?

[ img ]

Dave March
Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 am
Site Admin

Sounds like a bad installation... when installing you should NOT install into the default C:\Program Files folder and during the install your should stop all other progams, especially your AV and any other security type program you might have. Once installed you need to configure your AV NOT to scan the FDC folders

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Wombat457
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Thank you and I am installing FDC in my C directory alone, not under programs etc.

I am reluctant to turn off my AV for obvious reasons, so why is it necessary to do that and then configure my AV not to scan FDC? To be honest, that sounds a little suspicious to me if there us nothing suspect in the FDC files.

Dave March
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 pm
Site Admin

Of course there's nothing suspect in the FDC files!! Do you honestly think I've written some viruses and hidden them amongst the installation and then openly tell people to turn off their AV when installing just to infect their machines! How absolutely absurd and quite frankly darn right insulting!!!

FDC was first released around 15 years ago so I would have thought I'd have been found out by now, don't you?

AV programs these days are reporting false positives all the time. They scan for certain signatures in the executables and since my programs, like many others, are scrambled and compressed before release it is likely such signatures are replicated during that process. That's NOT to say they have an embedded virus!!!

My own AV complains about my own programs sometimes and I have even known it to remove certain supporting files... telling ME they are infected, hence my instructions to turn your AV OFF when installing and then to configure it NOT to scan the FDC folders. If you don't wish to follow my advice and continue to have issues then I'm afraid I can be of no further help to you.

Cheers

Dave March

Email: dmarch@oncourse-software.co.uk

I don't know if my memory is getting worse as I get older...
...I just can't remember how it used to be!

[ img ]

Wombat457
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:01 pm

A simple explanation for not running an AV would have sufficed, don't YOU think.

As for the intentional inclusion of viruses in software being absurd, perhaps you should tell that to all of those who have been infected with an INTENTIONALLY infected piece of software.

I asked a straight forward question concerning the turning off of an anti virus, one that I would think was a natural and responsible question to ask considering the purpose of an anti virus. If you are offended by my looking out for my security and system then so be it.

Dave Leesley
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:14 pm

Leaving your Anti Virus on affects the install of FDC along with other FS software like PMDG, Flight 1 to name a few, to use words like "suspicious" to be honest does sound like you are disbelieving Dave March the developer.
I can't say i'm happy about turning off AV during an install, but if it means not having issues then you will have to do it or continue to have issues, believe me Dave March is not trying to infect our machines with malicious software.

Topic is now locked.

Regards Dave
Forum Moderator

[ img ]
[ img ]

Display: Sort by: Direction:
Locked   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “FDC Support”
Jump to: